New bathroom installation - install old unused parts or buy new?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.

We are looking into moving, in the next 18 months or so, and our bathroom is extremely tatty and needs replacing (i.e. cracked sink, enamel coming off bath etc.).

We do not want to spend a fortune, so just need a very basic new bathroom put in so it looks clean.

When we bought our house (about 15 years ago), the previous owner had bought the bathroom equipment - new sink, toilet etc. everything except the bathtub but had yet to have it installed. This equipment has been sitting in our garage, all wrapped up, until this very day.

The bathroom was tatty, even then, and despite our best intentions to have the equipment put in, we never did.

My question, now, is whether we should try and have the bathroom equipment put in or whether we should just go with something new.

Compared to the costs of labour, the toilet, sink and taps are going to costs relatively little. I am worried that as the equipment is so old, now, it is clearly out of warranty. Plus, if something shatters, it would be impossible to get a replacement (all we know is that the equipment was bought from B&Q).

What do you think?

Should I start from scratch and get someone to install something brand new?

Sponsored Links
As you say not much , considering labour - but why not use what you have - Unwrap everything and make sure its its in perfect condition , the taps have not corroded, the washes may need replacing - unless cartridge style - also no chips or broken Toilet , Sink

or just get the cheapest stuff and replace , as you say you are moving , - BUT the chances are whoever moves into the house may well strip it all out and redo anyway.
so many people i see move into a property and just gut it day 1 .......

is it worth doing the bathroom, what difference would that make to a sell - are they loads of houses for sale and not moving in your area ??????

with the interest rates changing , I know our area , where if a house/bungalow was put on the market - a couple of years ago - it pretty much sold same day - and i also know quite a few people who were renting waiting for properties to come onto the market, now , all different we have 2 bungalows in the road - NOT in good condition need gutting and redoing, but been on the market for over a month now.

no guarantee you would get a replacement, we purchased a bathroom suite and ensuite suite , had it all installed , had some issues with the bath taps, which we had replaced, and now the manufacturer company now has gone bust .....

Thanks for the advice, guys. Much appreciated.

Unfortunately, the current bathroom has become so dilapidated (is at least 45 years old) that the sink has a very slight leak and we are worried that the toilet is on its way out as well - really should have not let it get to the point that it has.

As such, leaving it probably won't be an option.

I shall have a good look, this evening, and see what the state of everything is like.

One annoying thing is that the bathroom is really tiny (and is the only bathroom in the house) and the sink is pretty big. If it had been my choice, I would have chosen a much smaller one and a space saver bath to give the impression of a bigger space.

At the end of the day, as has been mentioned, it will probably be quickly pulled out following the eventual sale.

Sponsored Links
Given this is a tart up for sale, don't bother unless you can DIY it to a high standard
If the (metal?) bath is white you may be able to touch it up.
Where is the sink leak? if its the actual sink don't worry, if it's the waste pipe then its worth spending a bit of time getting it watertight (nobody wants a visual reminder that waste system may be failing).
Loo- as long as it flushes and holds water and isn't scaled to hell again ignore.
Have you had any estate agents round yet?- when you do (no harm getting one in tomorrow, they are always touting free survey and valuation) ask them if its worth the effort.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back