New downstairs bathroom installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If anyone can offer any advice for this. See pic attached below

View media item 8471
The pic above shows the layout of the property. At the moment in the area marked 'proposed bathroom' there is nothing except for a washing machine. In the past there was a sink which has been removed. Outside the window there is a small drain in the ground. In front of the shed is the manhole.

We are hoping to install an electric shower and loo. The section marked 'old toilet' is still in use but can only be accessed by going outside. With this new install the bathroom will be inside and the old toilet will be irrelevant.

Plumbing wise i suppose it will need the bathroom floor to be excavated and new soil pipe to be laid. But can anyone advise what else maybe involved and approximate costs for this work? Just for the basic install excluding tiling, flooring and final touches. thanks

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure about having to walk through the bathroom to get to the garden :confused:

I'm not sure about having to walk through the bathroom to get to the garden :confused:

What happened tot eh rule about there being a double doorway between kitchen and WC? Someone told me that had changed, but am not too sure.

Would have thought a better layout would have involved knocking through to existing WC, thus solving the problem of new drainage, blocking up old WC doorway and putting shower there.

Then could have new partition wall with doorway to shower room while leaving separate door to the garden.

What happened tot eh rule about there being a double doorway between kitchen and WC? Someone told me that had changed, but am not too sure.

I've also heard it was changed, I can't remember who told me unfortunately.

It would benefit builders of small flats etc, the ones I've seen tend to have an open kitchen and living area, with bathroom and possibly a bedroom off the main space.

Sponsored Links

I've also heard it was changed, I can't remember who told me unfortunately.

It would benefit builders of small flats etc, the ones I've seen tend to have an open kitchen and living area, with bathroom and possibly a bedroom off the main space.

Must be something to to with change in ventilation requirements (especially extraction rates :eek: )

Would have thought a better layout would have involved knocking through to existing WC, thus solving the problem of new drainage, blocking up old WC doorway and putting shower there.

Then could have new partition wall with doorway to shower room while leaving separate door to the garden.

Yes the above is the solution we were originally looking at. But the proposed area has a pitched roof and the old wc has a flat one. The old wc is only a single skin outbuilding with no insulation probably used as a coal shed in the past. So it would take more work to bring it up to current standards.

Anyone have a rough guesstimate of the cost for doing all the work as shown in my diagram? To cover the basic drainage, install new wc and shower. I was thinking perhaps around £1500 all in? cheers

Yes the above is the solution we were originally looking at. But the proposed area has a pitched roof and the old wc has a flat one. The old wc is only a single skin outbuilding with no insulation probably used as a coal shed in the past. So it would take more work to bring it up to current standards.

In which case are we to take it you're doing a kosher job? In which case you'll have to go for planning, building regs etc. Post your concept in the building forum- there are structural engineers and building control officers on there and they will provide you with a fuller picture of what's needed.

Anyone have a rough guesstimate of the cost for doing all the work as shown in my diagram? To cover the basic drainage, install new wc and shower. I was thinking perhaps around £1500 all in? cheers

It's the length of an unspecified piece of string at present I'm afraid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back