New bathroom layout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, to cut a long story short I'm renovating the entire ground floor of my house which includes enlarging the bathroom and changing its layout.

Here is the new layout:

And in 3D:

The builders are in now and have stripped out the old bathroom but now I'm having doubts about the space available for the toilet in the new layout. The length of the room is 238cm, so allowing for 10mm wallboard, 35mm insulation on the back wall and 1700mm for the bath, that leaves 635mm width for the loo between the end of the bath and the wall.

The Collins DIY book recommends 600mm width for a toilet but most other advice I've found online seems to recommend more.

So basically I'm on here looking for some reassurance that this layout will be OK and the loo won't feel too cramped.

Cheers and Merry Christmas...

Sponsored Links
Depends on what you mean by OK.
Will the WC fit ,yes it will ,and you will be close to the wall ,and bath end panel,when you sit on it.
Are you going to be happy with that ? No body here can answer that for you.
I would consider putting the basin where the WC is and the WC in the right hand side where the basin is. The position of the soil stack would possibly be an issue though.

Yeah, with the position of the soil stack, it's not possible to have the toilet on the other side. It's already going to require a bit of boxing because the soil pipe is under the end of the bath and it goes into a clay pipe so there's a limit to how low the pipe can be run.

Drains can be renewed / re routed etc but the costs may be outside budget. So as is often the case one has to compromise.Save money and have WC in a silly place or spend money and have more space around the WC .Its up to you !!! Merry Xmas.

Sponsored Links
I would put bath down full length of window wall toilet in middle of long wall with basin at the end.

Well that's how it was before nortonj but the room has been lengthened and we want to move the bath away from the window because we mostly have showers and it's not ideal having a shower next to the window. I think if I ask the builders to remove the existing plaster from the back wall then that will create a bit more space so it should be fine.

Not good practice to put a bath under a window anyway, but isn't there a vertical soil and vent pipe that would take up about 200mm when boxed out ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back