New bathroom work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Another tiling question.
I'm stripping my bathroom next. The walls are plastered and painted, tiles from floor to half wall height.
I want to put a wetroom shower in and have a roll top bath, the toilet and washbasin are in a separate 'room', an archway goes into the bath/shower part.
The bath/shower area is 1700x3700 and I plan on a full floor to ceiling tile. As I'm going to need to do some tanking is it a good idea to strip walls back and use tile backer board? Does the tanking go on top of the boards or on the walls 1st? I've done what I think is a fair bit of googling but can't find a site which explains this bit. Does the whole room need tanking, I was thinking just the shower area and a 'bit' of an overlap for splashing?
I'd like the shower glass to be in a channel and siliconed in so there are no visible fixings (other than a top supporting bar). Is this possible/reliable? I've found the channel strips online but asking for opinion on realistic and reliable outcomes.
Has anyone made their own shower tray instead of using formers? I want my drain to be in the corner so thought about making my own using 18mm wbp ply and plenty of under support.
The current floor is chipboard on 4x2s @ 16ctrs, I will be using tile backerboards so should I remove the chipboard and replace with ply? The chipboard is 30 years old and of unknown make. Are the floor bearers strong enough, there is no noticeable floor movement.
Where do people put the underfloor heating displays, landing, bedroom? Again not planning on using it at 1st, just going to put a mat down under tiles, just incase tiles are too cold! Used to vinyl at mo.

Sponsored Links
Don't take this the wrong way mate......

But what your proposing to do...ie..wetroom/elect under floor heating/make your own gradient/tray former ect ect..

Think you will need to do a .......lot...lot....more research before even attempting anything....

Substrates...
Tiles...
Adhesives...
Grouts...
Tile sealers...
Waterproofing...cement boards or matting for walls and floor matting...
Preperation...
Setting out....

Others ect...

I'm not sure what you are trying to say/advise here. I'm here trying to research what I would like to do, there's bound to be someone who's done it before so a question usually gets an answer.
The floor is chipboard as I said. The walls are currently partly plastered, ripped old tiles off where fitted so do I make good or strip the lot and screw backing boards to tile onto? I'm happy to replaster but also happy to strip and fit boards if they are a better option, I'm sure they might be in the wetroom section but the tanking should stop the plaster getting wet.
I don't know what tanking system to use, hence the question on how to tank/waterproof, I have no preference and will go with recommendations. The tile shop bloke says WP1 over the boards then tile onto the WP1, been today to order kitchen tiles. I didn't ask how much of the room needs tanking.
Setting out? I'm measuring and drawing on cad. Once I know what tile I'm using I can work out best fit around windows (2 off) and corners, doorways etc. Is this what you mean by setting out?
I'm not planning on using any tile I need to seal, unless grout needs sealing in wetrooms?
I'm having a go myself, I'm a diyer and will do everything I can, at least once. If I struggle or fail I will begrudgingly pay someone to do it. I've turned my hand to lots of things over the years and rarely fail, so far.

Sponsored Links
I think what titic was getting at is what you are planning on doing is a massively complex job and the questions you are asking highlight that you maybe a beginner at tiling.

I am all for DIY, I am a DIY tiler but I started a lot smaller than this project.

Break your project down in to smaller sections and do your research on each piece thoroughly. Start with the walls. You say they are painted and plastered. You can't really tile over paint and if you are ripping off tiles you will likely damage the existing plaster/board. Therefore it is best to rip out and replace. Areas that are likely to get wet should be concrete boards and the rest MR plasterboard. You could do backer boards all round if you wanted piece of mind. Whatever you do, do plaster after re-boarding, clean plaster board can hold more weight and you don't have to wait for the plaster to dry completely. You will probably want to tank the wet room bit, even if you are using backboards. I used aqualpanel boards and the Schulter kerdi membrane to water proof in my ensuite.

Regards to the floor, are you certain they are 2x4s? That is very small for joists and I would expect a fair bit of movement. Joists are usually 2x8 or 2 x 10. Yes remove the chipboard and replace with 25mm WBP ply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back