New batteries

PTH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About 18 months ago I bought a cheap battery drill from B&Q expecting it to last a few months. In fact I only bought it because I had lent mine to a friend and needed to use one that day. It is a 30v thing and came with two batteries.

It has exceeded all my expectations and I reckon that I have drilled near enough a thousand holes with it in aluminium, steel, wood, masonry.

To get to the point, I was in B&Q a few days ago and noticed a pile of spare batteries for my drill at £7.50 each 'to clear' so I bought a couple - does anyone know if it is better to leave the new batteries in their boxes until the original ones stop accepting a charge or should I charge them up and use them all in rotation?

Sponsored Links
i agree with eddie m rotate them all you dont have to carry them all just swap em every week or two

Eddie and big-all, thanks for you help. Advice noted and will be acted upon.

Sponsored Links
Also been told by a electrician when battery is low, press the trigger until battery is flat then charge it from there to prevent shortage life of the battery. Don't know if it's true but never has any problem so far.

masona said:
Also been told by a electrician when battery is low, press the trigger until battery is flat then charge it from there to prevent shortage life of the battery. Don't know if it's true but never has any problem so far.

i used to completly flatten batterys elastic band on trigger ect

but apparently if you completly flatten batterys one or more cells can reverse polarity[very unusual though]and just to highlight the point one off the six ryobi batteries had recently started giving reduced performance

so i now go flat as in you can stop the chuck turning by hand the on to charge

That advice depends on the battery type Ni Cd or Ni Mh, most batteries are now Ni Mh, which do not need a full discharge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back