New block walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:( Hello can anyone give me some advice?
I have got a builder that comes highly recommended and has started my double story extension(4mx6.5).He usually uses a team of brickies to get up the blocks but because they are stuck on another job due to the weather holding them back he has started the blocking (celcon inside and breeze block outside),We were really pleased on how quick things were moving and he worked through the heavy continuous rain and layed the blocks it is just ready for the lintels to go over the ground floor windows and he said that the team of brickies would take over from here as they had finished the other job(starting tuesday)He layed is last block wednesday afternoon at 2pm before going on a short break .
The trouble is I had a friend around on Thursday night and he commented on the integrity of the cement and thought that it was not up to the job if you break any of the lumps of dried cement off you can easily grind it to powder and if you rub the joints you can easily rub a groove into the cement (some places easier then others) and the blocks he layed wednesday afternoon are still soft in the joints and i could easily lift off the blocks.Looking at the front of my extension it is 6.5m wide with 2x1200mm windows and a 1200mm set of french doors ,the cement joints in the pillars each side of the door on the internal skin seem to have dried but again you can easily break it up like powder and if you lean your weight against the pillars they move and I could easily tip them over.i'm expecting him back Tuesday when he is expecting his first payment but I am not happy with the walls and would like them taken down and started again,He seems a genuine bloke and may well agree with me but if he does not what do I do next?Do I get the building inspector to look at it or a structural engineer and lets say things break down between us then what/how do i work out what I pay him for the footings if we decide to part company,I have viewed another friends job that his brickies finished the blocking on about 3 to 4 weeks ago and the cement seems fine and they are well happy with the build but I just feel so deflated that I seem to have trouble and am not sure how to deal with it correctly.I think he said he put a 6 to 1 mix for the celcon blocks because he said they are light weight.What type of mix he put in between the breeze blocks I do not know
Any advice would be great.

Sponsored Links
I cant comment on the structural integrity of the block work but from what you describe I would be equally as concerned.

I would definitely contact your BCO officer, describe the condition of the block work and see what he says. They can often attend site at short notice for a quick inspection.

Personally, I would avoid voicing your concerns to the builder until you have spoken to an expert. If you say you're concerned and the builder passes it off by saying 'they are fine', you will still want a second opinion and if the work is sub standard it's much better confronting the builder with the backing of an expert.

Mix doesnt sound that bad, more a class iv than a iii. The mortar should always be weaker than the brick/blockwork. Which in this case class iii and iv will be.
I would give the mortar a chance to cure and check it maybe sunday and if its still poor then speak to the builder because ultimately he will have to redo the work at his cost.

Thanks
I have already spoke to the builders labourer and he said that the mix is fine and that it is mixed weak due to the fact that they are celcon blocks.As for the loose pillars he agreed that they would have to come down and thought that the wind had caught them.He is coming to continue Tuesday and I was thinking of asking him to get the BCO to have a look then(with me) and ask if I can change over to Volrock on the internal walls as I am not happy with celcon blocks.initially the builder wanted to use volrock but the building inspector wanted celcon.So do I try to get the building regs officer here today or leave it until tuesday as the builder already knows about it via his labourer?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Static Wrote
Mix doesn't sound that bad, more a class iv than a iii. The mortar should always be weaker than the brick/blockwork. Which in this case class iii and iv will be.

Can you tell me what class iv and iii are?Do they relate to the mix or the hardness ect and if I'm still not happy Sunday is it worth getting BCO there Tuesday and does this 6 to 1 mix usually crumble to powder when worked between the fingers.
Thanks

Masonry mortars are spec'd in 4 basic strengths i-iv (1-4). "i" being strongest but more suseptable to movement (ie will crack) and the other end of the scale "iv" being weakest but can accomodate movement better.
It also depends on the blockwork your using and location etc etc.. "iv" mortar is acceptable in your situation. but wouldnt be specified for a load bearing pier or retaining wall for instance.

Mortar like concrete gains strength over time and normally takes about 28 days to get to full design strength.. so see what its like at the weekend if its still crumbly then act.

The labourer said "that they (the pillars) would have to come down and thought that the wind had caught them"

You said "if you lean your weight against the pillars they move and I could easily tip them over"

I think that regardless of the outcome you should at least come clean and admit that you've been pushing at green walls and that's why they have shifted

Static wrote
It also depends on the blockwork your using and location etc etc.. "iv" mortar is acceptable in your situation. but wouldn't be specified for a load bearing pier or retaining wall for instance

The pillars will be taking the weight of a r s j which will be taking the weight of the upstairs side wall as the upstairs of the extension is smaller then the downstairs

The roofer wrote
I think that regardless of the outcome you should at least come clean and admit that you've been pushing at green walls and that's why they have shifted

I was rubbing the joint out and noticed the movement in the wall I did not actually push it strait away

Hmm.. well call out BC to take a look or contact your structural engineer. BC are normally quite happy to pop along and condemn works. As its supporting something quite major in the building i wouldnt take any chances.

Seems to me the customer is vandalising his own house.

"Blocks laid Wednesday afternoon could be lifted on Thursday?"

They aren't fastened with Evo-stick!

I hope the builder charges you for having to do the job again.

Next time leave it well alone.

joe

Static wrote
Hmm.. well call out BC to take a look or contact your structural engineer. BC are normally quite happy to pop along and condemn works. As its supporting something quite major in the building i wouldn't take any chances.

I just managed to speak to the builder and told him of my fears that the block was not up to the job and that the joints are crumbling.He said that he would replace the piers and if i wanted to change the whole i/side blocks to volrock I could but I would have to pick up the tab for the blocks and he would not charge labour but he then phoned the building regs officer and he said I could change to volrock but would have to make up with insulation on the i/side

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back