New blocks are too thick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After searching for ages I found some pitch pine parquet blocks which matched my existing floor. They are the right length and width but are too deep, which type of saw do I need to cut about 1/4 of an inch off the bottom?
Any advice would be gratefully received! Thanks
Lesleyprez

Sponsored Links
heeeelllooo and welcome Lesleyprez :D :D :D

not an easy task

phone your local joinery shop
allow extra thickness for adhesive take all your blocks to them hey presto proper job for for about £1 or less per block [assuming around 20 blocks]

or if you have plenty more than 20 blocks, go and buy yourself a thickener from b&q warehouse

youve got to be carefull with thicknessers as theres a minimum length you can pass through safely
you can use a backing board but theres still a minimum to stop jumping as they roll off and on the rollers

you can of course screw them to the board but that means the planed face will be uppermost in the finnished floor

Sponsored Links
Lez - 1/4", use a bandsaw - buy a cheap one or follow Big's advice and get the local carpentry workshop to do it. Even you local timber yard might help.

Got a router? Start with a flat worksurface, ie: sheet of ply or mdf. Affix to this a piece of 18mm ply with a squared off hole cut in the centre, an inch larger than your blocks all round. Inset into this a piece of 12mm ply, with an inset cut out the same size as your blocks. Then you have a jig which you can use to hold the blocks in place while you router off the excess depth. Sizes given are examples, but you get the gist.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back