New boiler – combi or conventional / system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are going to be replacing our existing (old) conventional boiler as part of extension works we are carrying out.
We are aware of the pros and cons of the main boiler types (essentially combi v's conventional / system).
And in our 2 previous houses, we have put in combi boilers both times – this is because the pros of being able to get hot water on demand and the boiler taking up less space (both very important to us) have far outweighed all else. However, we have previously had 1 bathroom / 3 bedrooms / 1 reception / kitchen, and a baby and a toddler - so the limited hot water output (ie running more than one hot water tap at the same time) has never been a problem.
Our new (post extension) house will have 2 bathrooms / downstairs loo / 4 bedrooms / 3 receptions / kitchen-diner, and the children will be growing up here…so our question is essentially whether there are any combi type boilers out there could cope with this…???
I have seen some that suggest that they might be suitable, for example: the Worcester Bosch Greenstar 42CDi Classic that says ‘The higher outputs of Greenstar CDi boilers can be suitable for larger properties with more than one bathroom’; and the Alpha FlowSmart that states “allows a sustained supply of domestic hot water at flow rates of around 18 litres per minute.” And presumably others.
But does anyone have any experience of what this really means in terms of say, the central heating being on and 2 people showering at the same time?
I think the acid test would be either (a) central heating on, one person showering, another person then starts doing some washing up – does the person in the shower lose their hot water? Or (b) even more simply, with the central heating on, if 2 showers are running at the same time, will they both run hot?
[I don’t think the following will be likely (and if it does happen, then someone would just need to wait!): central heating on, 2 showers happening at the same time as well as another hot water tap running. And we are talking about ‘normal’ shower heads by the way, not those oversize ones. And regarding the other potential draws of hot water: the dishwasher always goes on overnight, and our washing machine is cold feed. Also, although not confirmed yet, I think there will be approximately 16 radiators in the house. And finally, our mains water pressure seems decent.].
Any help would be appreciated.. thanks..!

Sponsored Links
With a combi, it prioritises tap water to heating. If your can fit it in I would recommend the worcester 440cdi highflow. Delivers 20litres per min. And easily supply 16 radiators. Expensive tho .

Before you choose whatever system make sure you have your "Decent" mains water measured flow and pressure.

Sustained 18l per minute from the boiler does not mean from all outlets, it will be halved if 2 outlets are calling for hot water.

Washing machine cold feed still takes from the cold water feeding the boiler.

Pete

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back