New Boiler and effort to improve water pressure

He has got 22 lpm from his kitchen sink cold tap which is necked down to 15mm. The 15mm pipes are throttling his flow.

He has got a 25mm blue polypipe incomer. Fitting a full bore stopcock and running 22mm copper to an unvented cylinder would doubtless give improved flow. A bath tap is also bigger than a sink tap.

Sponsored Links
He has got 22 lpm from his kitchen sink cold tap which is necked down to 15mm. The 15mm pipes are throttling his flow.

He has got a 25mm blue polypipe incomer. Fitting a full bore stopcock and running 22mm copper to an unvented cylinder would doubtless give improved flow. A bath tap is also bigger than a sink tap.
He has a 20mm blue pipe which approx 15mm internal bore. He does not have good flow, clearly not enough for all hot and cold in the house. An unvented cylinder will solve nothing in this case, but will give an extra service charge cost each year.

Even if the mains supply was 25mm, I would still keep the cold tank (it is there, so use it) and do what I bullet pointed. In reality high pressure is only needed for the shower. It saves all that space, expense and complexity of the unvented cylinder, and gives a store of water in mains water cuts.

its 25mm plastic pipe to the stop cock

Unlike the user currently using the name "JohnHarrison," I can read.

O.P.
You can do a search by name on posters if you want to form your own opinion on how sensible they are. Many of us already have our own opinions. An anonymous internet poster could be anyone and some are more trusted and less eccentric than others. The number of "thanks received" is another clue.

Also bear in mind what the installers who have actually visited your home have said.

A ad hominem response. Typical when beaten. Unvented cylinders are not the be all answer. I do not think he actually knows the pipe size. He needs to measure the flow properly and find out the pipe size.
Irrespective:
  • Using the existing cold water tank make a lot of sense.
  • Getting rid of any type of hot water cylinder to release space in the house makes a lot of sense.
  • Getting rid of an annual unvented cylinder service charge makes a lot sense.
  • Having a reserve of cold water in case of mains cuts makes a lot of sense.
  • He is having a new boiler, so having a good flow, reliable, quality, combi makes a lot of sense.
  • Eliminating the expensive extra cost of an unvented cylinder makes a lot of sense.
All the above is a hell of a lot of sense. My above posts are analysis not opinion.

You have done nothing to justify your "opinion", only engage in ad hominem. :(

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
A ad hominem response.

ODFOD.

I have simply pointed out an error in your post, and invited the OP to form his own opinion.

If you think that your track record shows you in a poor light, then I cannot accept responsibility for your opinion.

A ad hominem response.
I have simply pointed out an error in your post,
I do not think I had an error. It is clear the OP was not certain of the pipe size. Irrespective of pipe size, it is the flow rate which matters and that is not good. A 25mm pipe should deliver 30 litres/minute. If he looks at what I bulleted out, and he costs it up, he will save a lot of money and get a proper functioning system with much more added value.

John Harrison

Do you really not think that the flow rate out of a pipe will depend on the supply pressure?

Tony

John Harrison

Do you really not think that the flow rate out of a pipe will depend on the supply pressure?

Tony
Yes, they are related. All the pressure in the world and a poor flow will do nothing in this case.

Clearly there seems to be some debate here but thanks everyone for taking the time to comment and share your opinion.
Whilst I have your attention :) can I please have some feedback on the Vailllant ecotec boilers I was originally looking at these before the Worcester and thinking of using one in combination with the weather compensating wireless thermostat system.

I made an error the bath is actually fed by the loft cold water tank not the mains. The bathroom sink where I got 13lpm was via an 8mm pipe for the last 2ft which also seems to have a big kink where the plumber has bent the pipe to a right angle.

The problem we will have running a 22mm pipe up is that it is currently in the wall cavity, one benefit may be that we were going to put the unvented tank in the loft so we could go straight up?

If you want to know the difference between Worcester and Vaillant try ringing their helplines tomorrow morning.

One of my customers rang Vaillant last week wanting to know what was new in a Vaillant Erp model and no one could tell him! He thought the manufacturer might know.

I rung Vaillant myself last week (15mins wait) to ask whether the ecoTEC+ 10yr deal had been extended (was finishing in July*)? Firstly, I got a rather blunt woman who told me the 'terms and conditions' were on the Advance website. I explained that the T&Cs were only relevant to the discounted ecoTEC Pro promotion, and she only believed me when she had looked them up herself.

No-one in her office (sales) could answer the question about their own offer. Was told I could be called back.

Said I'd rather wait until she found someone who did know what was going on, that took another 10 minutes.

*Now Sept 30th

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back