improving water performance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

looking for some advice. we have an unvented cylinder in our house. but our mains what supply isn't great. 3 bar static pressure with 14l a minute.

we have changed the supply pipe from the old lead pipe to a 25 mdpe pipe and there was no improvement.

the water board have confirm that we meet the minimum requirement and can not help us.

is there anything else we can do to improve the performance of the system?

thanks in advance

Richard

Sponsored Links
Presumerably you were on an old 1\2 inch lead and if there really isn't any difference after upgrading to 25mm MDPE then I would guess there's a restriction somewhere...perhaps the strainer in the pressure reducing valve, the internal stopcock or the boundary stopcock/meter.
Unfortunately the water companies don't give a stuff whether you've got an unvented...often their minimum performance flowrate is as little as 8 litres/min. Might be worth checking the neighbours flowrates.

Sponsored Links
Presumerably you were on an old 1\2 inch lead and if there really isn't any difference after upgrading to 25mm MDPE then I would guess there's a restriction somewhere...perhaps the strainer in the pressure reducing valve, the internal stopcock or the boundary stopcock/meter.
Unfortunately the water companies don't give a stuff whether you've got an unvented...often their minimum performance flowrate is as little as 8 litres/min. Might be worth checking the neighbours flowrates.
neighbour one up and one down both have similar results. any merit in digging up the new pipe and replacing with a bigger bore to the property boundary?

I doubt there's any problem with the MDPE...
sorry, what I mean is would my flow rate improve much if I was to replace the 25mm pipe with 40mm for example? or would the accumulator be a better solution?

Unfortunately the water companies don't give a stuff whether you've got an unvented..

Why should they "give a stuff" ? If the customer chooses to install a system that is not able to work with the available water supply then it is down to the customer to remedy the situation.

often their minimum performance flow rate is as little as 8 litres/min.

Which is more than adequate. When a short duration of higher flow rate is necessary then an accumulator will provide that higher flow rate. This method of providing higher flow rates has been known for almost 100 years. A cold water storage tank ( cistern ) in the highest part of the building is an un-pressurised accumulator. ( or the highest point that could be reached by water lifted by the mains supply pressure 1 bar lifts to approx 10 metres but then there is almost zero flow)

What a clown you are...too many idiots on here...I'll get back to the CC.

You really think 8 litres/min flowrate is acceptable in 2018? Our utilities are becoming a laughing stock. Perhaps you've not come across hopeless gas pressures either. We're going backwards in this country.
I guess you'd be perfectly happy with a 1 meg broadband service too.

sorry, what I mean is would my flow rate improve much if I was to replace the 25mm pipe with 40mm for example? or would the accumulator be a better solution?

25mm should be perfectly adequate assuming the distance is not excessive. Just remember that an accumulator will give you a higher flowrate for a limited period until it's pressure is exhausted.

Perhaps you've not come across hopeless gas pressures either.
I have seen first hand the problems that gas transporters have in getting enough gas into houses, gas mains literally at bursting point as pressures are increased to get the necessary volume of gas to the area.

We're going backwards in this country.
No, we were going forward too fast and soon we will have to slow down, for many that slowdown will seem like going backwards

I guess you'd be perfectly happy with a 1 meg broadband service too.
I was happy with 2 meg, heck I was able to work from home with a much lower speed, 1200 baud in dial up in the beginning, But then I do not do on-line gaming and similar data hungry activity

To be honest the way they're rolling out universal metering in Thames water and talking about water stress, I'd not be surprised if the next modification in future is to fit a flow restrictor on everyone's supply.
Yes everyone wants luxury showers in 2018, but some things, water for one, don't increase in availability as the population grows.

The possibility of "smart" water meters with the functionality to provide for separate Off Peak and Peak recordings has been mentioned.
So"peak" would be late summer and off peak would be spring? Or would it be based on the groundwater levels and reservoirs?

So"peak" would be late summer and off peak would be spring? Or would it be based on the groundwater levels and reservoirs?

It might be based on flow rate. If the flow rate exceeds a pre-agreed rate then the cost per cubic meter during that higher flow rate is increased

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back