New boiler and radiators fitted... is it done correctly?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm after some advice for some friends of mine. They have had a new boiler and radiators fitted and some of the work done doesn't look right to me (although I'm no expert! :LOL: ).

First is that the plumber has used plastic pipes with some of the existing copper pipes that were there with the old central heating system. The plastic pipes have been laid bare with no coverings of any sort and in the kitchen area (where it's a concrete floor) he has put the pipes in trenches and filled it with concrete(?) again with no pipe covers. Should the pipes be covered? Is it a legal requirement?

Secondly the boiler has plastic pipes running to and from it from what appears to be a distance of less than 1m. I remember reading somehwere that pipes needed to be copper for a minimum length but can't remember where. Anyone know the legal requirement?

There are other issues with the installation but these are two that stick out the most. Any advice appreciated. :)

Sponsored Links
1. Plastic pipes and copper pipe should not come into direct contact with concrete and should be protected.
2.Your boiler installation instructions will give advice on connecting plastic direct to boiler.

1. Plastic pipes and copper pipe should not come into direct contact with concrete and should be protected.
2.Your boiler installation instructions will give advice on connecting plastic direct to boiler.

Is point 1 a legal requirement or is it just good practice? Just wondering if my friends have any legal grounds to recover the costs of getting it done properly.

No its not a legal requirement,but encasing pipes in concrete does not allow for expansion and will in time cause failure of the pipe due also to corrosion.Any good installer would have learnt that early on in his training and its considered correct installation practice to wrap all pipes being laid in concrete.

Sponsored Links
The builder still has other work to carry out but needless to say my friends want him out. Are they obliged for him to complete the work or can they get rid of him without any recourse?

Expert! what about screeded underfloor pipe work? thats plastic and comes into direct contact with the screed, and is perfectly acceptable as per many MI's

Expert! what about screeded underfloor pipe work? thats plastic and comes into direct contact with the screed, and is perfectly acceptable as per many MI's
Read the post! Are you talking about the same thing.If you refer to UFH then thats entirely different.Expert! :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back