New boiler and thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

I am looking to have a combi boiler installed (my old boiler is retiring after 20 years). I have had several trademen in (large and small cos) and am now totally confused by all their varying advice.

My biggest confusion is the room thermostat and radiator thermostats. I've been told that I need a fixed thermostat with no TRV on the radiator in that room. The next engineer told me that I should have TRV's on all radiators (including the radiator in the room with the thermostat) and finally, I've been told that fixed thermostats are a thing of the past - I need TRV's on all radiators and a wirless thermostat that I can then move about the house as required.

The latter advice comes from the trader with the cheapest quote (but the largest company) so I'm tempted bearing in mind price and after-service offerring. However, I want to be confident that I'm taking the correct advice.

Can anyone offer any pearls of wisdom? I know that this isn't a DIY question but I have a feeling that if I go with the wrong option I'll be on here an awful lot, trying to sort out my heating problems.

Sponsored Links
Building regulation requirements are that a room stat (or other form of interlink to control the boiler) should be fitted and the space in which this is fitted should not have a TRV fitted. Best practice states that all other rads should have TRVs fitted but you'll find that you can get away without this if you don't want the extra expense. As far as I'm aware there is only one boiler on the market that will allow all TRVs on a system (Baxi Solo HE) but I could be wrong on this.

It's common sense really. You shouldn't have a room with both a TRV and a room thermostat. It's like having a car with two steering wheels.

I support the wireless stat.

You can turn the TRV in the room with the TX unit up to max so it does not upset the stat.

Tony

Sponsored Links
You can turn the TRV in the room with the TX unit up to max so it does not upset the stat.
You could, but what's the point of fitting a TRV and then permanently leaving it on max?

Also in practice I can't imagine that happening. Someone who doesn't understand the concept of 'thermostat conflict' will turn it down at some point.

Stem, he is going to carry the stat round the house. Thats a good idea as I can leave heating off until 15 min before I get out of bed with that.

He lives there are we have told him of the potential conflict and how to avoid it.

Tony

You need at least 1 radiator without a TRV, NORMALLY the hallway radiator. I fit the honeywell wireless programmable room thermostats, these also come with a wall mounting bracket, so you have the option of placing it on the wall or on it's supplied stand. All my customers love them.
If you want another quote let me know.

Mike

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back