New boiler and unvented cylinder?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am going to fit a new boiler and unvented indirect cylinder to replace an existing Gloworm Fuelsaver and Megaflow. The Megaflow is leaking from the cylinder itself and can only stop it with a recharge and as it's 18 years old it's nearing it's time to go anyway.
So on advice from a mate I was thinking of getting a Worcester 30CDi and a Gledhil 180 or 210 cylinder indirect , I have a 145 but for a 3 bed terraced with on bathroom I always thought it might be on the small side, I presume it's much more runnign cost to increase the size a little, I have plenty of space in the airing cupboard.
Is the boiler and cylinder a good choice? I went for the CDi as it seems their most modern boiler with half the nox value of their others, a bit big for what I need but I'd rather have a great boiler.
The other thing is any advce on controls? I have an old timer and thermostat downstairs , should I replace these with something more modern? or an external weather thermostat?
I'm not looking to spend a fortune but I do believe in doing a job well and buying stuff that lasts, eg why a lot of friends have had combi boilers fitted but I live in London and it just wouldn't last long.

Appreciate any advice

thanks
Alan

Sponsored Links
all boilers with compensation controls are good..some a bit better than others...

the CDI range has good controls and gives many benefits

is your house really 30kws..there is no benefit in over sizing boilers so this is something to look at..indeed with compensation controls the lower the low end of the modulation range the better...

Boiler sounds very much oversize unless your rooms are very large with extremely poor insulation. Megaflo's have a 25yr cylinder guarantee but as you say it fixes with a recharge sounds more like one of the safety devices perhaps the T&E valve?

Would be wise to get at least an intelligent thermostat so you can automatically pick target temps during different times of day. Weather compensation is good as long as the rads are sized correctly per room.

megaflows will leak from the tprv if they aren't re-charged, how often do you have to do it ?

Sponsored Links
Glow worm ultrapower a cross between unvented tank and combi.
Read up on them on the glow worm website.

So much great advice thanks everyone!

Thanks scoobydo & CBF the Megaflow is def leaking form the cylinder all valves seem ok, it's actually dripping form the foam insulation at the bottom, it's so old it's not covered by guarantee anymore. and a recharge lasted before only a few weeks, but now it's been more like a month.
We had a problem with it when it was only a few years old loosing it's pressure, so I think it's along the same lines, besides I can't complain after 18 years. Boiler is going fine but def looking a bit old now :)

And thanks dcawkwell I looked at the Gloworm, very interesting, a little like the Worcester Hiflow, which I also looked at, but so big for what I need especially with in an airing cupboard.

Yep boiler is oversized , it's a small terraced 2 bed house with a loft extension to give us 3 beds, but it's the only CDi they do, I just presumed it's the latest and best System boiler they do.
I spoke to Worcester who were amazingly helpful, I did a BTU calc of all the rooms and got 40125 using an online Rad calculator. Worcester advised a `Greenstar 15i, but suggested why don't I get a combo, I said I'm not sure how long it will last as I live in London, and he said well you get a 7 yr guarantee then take out a service plan for £100 a year..

So still got a choice to make, a combi sure would be cheaper but not by much, but cheaper to run. hmm system or combi..my plumber mate says system , as its' what I got.
Any further advice?
thanks again for any info really means a lot.

Combi is not cheaper to run cannot see how a megaflo can be leaking and be ok after a re-charge very odd given the symptoms you describe.

Combi is not cheaper to run cannot see how a megaflo can be leaking and be ok after a re-charge very odd given the symptoms you describe.
Yea def a weird one I spoke to Megaflow and they think it's a split int he cylinder itself, so when the gap disappears water starts to seep out. It's def not coming from any joint. like from within the foam insulation at the bottom of the cylinder.
I think system boiler then , replace like for like, never had a combi, if it's not cheaper then I like the extra pressure, the pipework is more or less all there so a relatively simple swap. (I hope ) lol

thanks for the advice again

the megaflow is warenteed for 25 yrs so why are you not going down this route ? they can't repair them if they are split so you will get a brand new replacement

the megaflow is warenteed for 25 yrs so why are you not going down this route ? they can't repair them if they are split so you will get a brand new replacement

I wish CBF it's not covered they said..18 years ago it was not that long a guarantee , I think thats why it's been loosing pressure all these years, just now it's started actually dripping out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back