New boiler being installed - Wiring new fused connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm having a new boiler installed in a new location the other side of the house. The current setup is an old convential boiler with pump/diverter valves etc.

The current circuit is a 6a MCB feeding the boiler / burglar alarm. Coming from the consumer unit is 2x 1.5mm cables on that MCB feeding a fused connection for the alarm and the other cable wired straight to the boiler wiring with no FCU that I can see at all which isnt good. At this point the wiring goes off to thermostats and pumps and will be a big task to identify so the plan is to get rid of the lot at the consumer unit.

I have an easy route to the new boiler location (under the floor) and a roll of 2.5mm T+E, would there be any issue terminating this to the 6a MCB other than being uncommon? I would also replace the wiring to the FCU for the alarm with 2.5.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Irrespective of any other issues, there is absolutely no point using 2.5mm.

1mm would be fine. 1.5mm would be more than enough, 2.5 is ridiculous.

Why not just add a spur either above the CU or where the existing boiler is and then just run the new cable from there?

Hi, yes 2.5mm would be fine and as you already have some even better ! It would be an issue if you wanted to use a lower gauge cable on a larger breaker! 2.5mm will handle 27a

so, no problem with 6a !

Kind regards,

ds

I already have a good 20m of 2.5 on a roll in the garage so will cost me nothing and will have no other use for it. I didnt want to put it on a spur off the kitchen ring since it already has its own circuit. Thought it may also come in handy one day if needed with a bigger MCB.

Thanks for the replies :D

Sponsored Links
Irrespective of any other issues, there is absolutely no point using 2.5mm.
...except that 2.5mm² is what the OP has!
1mm would be fine. 1.5mm would be more than enough, 2.5 is ridiculous.
Unnecessarily large, sure - but as deadshort has said, not 'ridiculous', particularly if that's what one has! You're right that 1.5mm² would be more than adequate. So, electrically speaking, would be 1mm² - but, unless you could successfully argue that a boiler counts as 'lighting', it would probably not be compliant with regs!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back