Extend 16A Radial with 1mm T&E?

The cable does pass through the cavity wall between the garage and the house. The cavity is around 70mm so the cable will be surrounded by insulation for that distance - I'm not sure if any derating needs to be applying for that distance?

Yes, you should derate for that.
My 17th ed OSG table 6B gives a derating factor of 0.78 for 100mm of insulation with thermal conductivity greater than 0.04 W/mK. But most modern insulation materials are at least a bit better insulators than that. 50mm is 0.88.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I stripped a short length of 1.0mm² and 1.5mm² to check my caliper and they measured at 1.14mm and 1.36mm respectively - not quite perfect but certainly within the realms of an uncalibrated "domestic" caliper!
Those measured diameters are very close to what 1.0 mm² and 1.5 mm² cable should be.

Kind Regards, John

Yes, you should derate for that.
My 17th ed OSG table 6B gives a derating factor of 0.78 for 100mm of insulation with thermal conductivity greater than 0.04 W/mK. But most modern insulation materials are at least a bit better insulators than that. 50mm is 0.88.
Ah yes, thanks. So sounds like I ought to fuse down - if we assume a derating factor of 0.78 that only gives me 12.48A so I'd need to fuse down to 10A.

In the spirit of being over-cautious I think I might just connect the new socket to the load side of the existing 3A FCU until such a time as I can replace the 1.0mm with 2.5mm then I can simply move the socket to the supply side as I'd like. 3A is more than enough for what I plan to use it for in the meantime.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back