Extend 16A Radial with 1mm T&E?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My garage contains a radial socket circuit, wired with 2.5mm T&E and protected by a 16A MCB.

This circuit also feeds a 3A FCU which powers my burglar alarm. I need a mains socket near this and there's no other practical way of getting a new cable to it without removing a tiled floor, so I'm hoping to use the feed to the FCU to also connect a socket.

I've found that the cable to the FCU isn't 2.5mm - the external dimensions of the cable mirror that of 1.5mm T&E however having removed the FCU the insulation of the inner cores looks more like 1.0mm than 1.5mm. I haven't yet turned the power off to measure the actual cores but either way it's no bigger than 1.5mm.

The cable to the FCU runs under an uninsulated suspended floor so can I assume reference method C for the cable? If so, am I right in thinking 1.5mm is rated to 20A and 1.0mm to 16A, therefore given the MCB is rated at 16A I would technically be fine to extend the circuit to another socket using either 1.5mm or even 1.0mm, even though this isn't normally used for sockets?

If that's not acceptable, I assume it'd be fine to install a 13A FCU at the garage end of the existing cable, thus protecting the cable to the existing 3A FCU for the alarm and also the socket I intend to install? I don't anticipate using this for high power devices so I'd be happy to fuse at 10A or even 5A however I'd rather allow for other people plugging in devices such as a vacuum cleaner that could blow this fuse which would also knock out the power to the burglar alarm.

Sponsored Links
If it is protected by a 16amp MCB 1.5mm cable is OK and you don't need a FCU. As you say 1.0mm is rated at 16amps but there is a rule that 1.0mm cable can only be used for lights. So if it is 1.0mm it need changing.

Sponsored Links
I am looking at the relavent section right now. You stated there is a “rule”. You quote it.

Last edited:
1.5mm cable is OK

That’s a very short piece of cable. Do you mean 1.5mm²

1.0mm is rated at 16amps

Why are you talking about measurements of length again?

What is 16amps? Do you mean 16 amps?

1.0mm cable can only be used for lights.

Another measurement of length. Do you mean 1.0mm²?

So if it is 1.0mm it need changing.

Yes as that cable isn’t going to be long enough to be of use.

Perhaps Winston is misremembering and/or misquoting a "rule"* which implies that 1.0mm² cables may only be used for lighting circuits by referencing a table which specifies the minimum CSA for "power circuit" cables as 1.5mm²? That one does exist, although it admittedly fails to define what actually constitutes a "power circuit". Why did they not use the term "non-lighting circuit" as they did in the voltage drop calculation section?

[pedantic mode]
*There is no mention of rules on the title pages of the book, only requirements and regulations.
[\pedantic mode]

Last edited:
That’s a very short piece of cable. Do you mean 1.5mm²

Why are you talking about measurements of length again?

What is 16amps? Do you mean 16 amps?

Another measurement of length. Do you mean 1.0mm²?

Yes as that cable isn’t going to be long enough to be of use.

Amps.

You have been proven a liar previously on this forum, and you have lied again in this thread.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back