1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

new boiler , estimate v quote

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by rhinosaw, 19 Aug 2019.

1. rhinosaw

rhinosaw

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have read that a quote for the above is less likely to be or can't be increased in price whereas the estimate is just that and can go up in price, thanks

2. Sponsored Links
  3. FiremanT

FiremanT

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Pretty much. A quotation can only be altered within the parameters of the T&C's.

An estimate is, obviously, just that. Personally for a "normal" install, I would not accept an "estimate". When I issued quotations, I explained exactly where a cost may increase, and the basis of that cost. TBH, most quotes I "see" are verbal or scratched on the back of an envelope.

Th problem is that not all contractors have a clue about running a business. I had an "estimate" to have our entire bungalow decorated, running into a few grand. When I said I was surprised it was an estimate, not a quote he had not an idea what I meant. He genuinely thought they were the same TBH, he did the job, and his painting proficiency was similar to his business acumen :(

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. rhinosaw

rhinosaw

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks Fireman, yes he has seen the work involved so makes u wonder how it can increase in price, perhaps that is why he has gone in at a cheapish price of £1995 + vat plus £300 for a powerflush, optional, going from vented to system the way

5. muggles

muggles

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I always issue estimates, but try to stick to them as closely as possible. Customers moving the goalposts half way through a job is the primary reason for varying the price for me

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. dilalio

dilalio

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Bathroom refurbs have to be estimated rather than quoted because one cannot see what has been hidden behind baths, toilets, boxing, walls or below floors.

Last one I did had to have all the walls hacked off back to brick and re coated in sand and cement as they were previously done with bonding coat. This is not correct for exterior walls and it came off in great slabs when tiles were removed. :sick:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. FiremanT

FiremanT

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom

Yes. I get that. When I referred to "normal installs", I meant heating jobs, which are a lot more predictable. With experience, most issues ought to be "spottable", and when a punter asks for an alteration the T&C's will allow an increase.

8. Sponsored Links
  9. ericmark

ericmark

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    People like British Gas will give a quote, it is a win some lose some basis, and in the past I know they have honoured a quote, however from a local plumber I have had estimates and paid less than estimate, I think there may be a legal limit, but it's let the court decide, so would have to be way out to be worth going to court, the main difference is a estimate can be very roughly defined, where a quote says exactly what is involved, so if for example a combi boiler is used to replace a system boiler and water tank is removed, the power shower could end up just being isolated and not be included in price.

Even to the point of changing a boiler and doing all the gas work, and leaving the water no connected, it all depends what is on the contract. I remember a job where some kitchen work was being done, a quote had been given, during the job the lady of the house on many times said can you do this, to which the answer was always yes, then all the this's were listed on the bill with a charge for each.

As a result in real terms very little difference between quote and estimate, main one being all extras are listed in a quote.

At the end of the day you need to trust a tradesman, and also need some flexibility, I employed a plumber and chippy to do some work in my house, part being replacing a shower, it turned out timbers rotten under shower, these were replaced, but work over ran as a result, so agreed he could return latter to complete less urgent work. Still waiting two months latter, but swapping TRV's is not really going to cause a problem not being done, and I am happy he did the emergency work quickly, has to be some give and take.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. rhinosaw

rhinosaw

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for all your comments

11. Notch7

Notch7

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Professionally written quotations should really list a fixed price that include elements that are provisional sums.
    Or for say a boiler, a quoted price, but with terms that states unknowns may be charged.

Unfortunately builders and other site trades are often blamed for bumping up the final bill, but the customer refuses to accept that problems arise during the job.

Or customers add on 'just jobs'....and think because you are site working for them, it must be free.

The reality is that if a customer wants a guaranteed fixed price, he should expect a high quotation. Why should the tradesman take the risk for unknowns -its the customers house.

I did a job and when digging the footings a capped off well was discovered. The customer said 'I wont have to pay any more, will I? :ROFLMAO:

12. durhamplumber

durhamplumber

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Unless you are the govt,,where they have no problem going from original £1b to £10b with a job.

13. durhamplumber

durhamplumber

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Indeed.

Sponsored Links