New Boiler in Loft not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently had a new Worcester Greenstar 24RI installed in the loft area. The Boiler loop has been extended to the Loft area and the header tank moved to above the Boiler. 3 way valve and pump remain in the airing cupboard and its an open vented system.

This replaced my 20 year old Potterton boiler which was installed downstairs, and worked perfectly up unit it was replace. With the new boiler installation when there is demand for both heating and hot water the radiators don’t come on downstairs, and are luke warm upstairs first thing in the morning. Hot water reaches the Thermostatic valves but the radiator return pipes are cold.

If I turn off the Cylinder Stat off heating comes on. If heating is on and I take a bath radiators go cold until the Cylinder has reached its required temperature. Then the Radiator start to warm up

3 Way valve has been checked and is working OK, pump is OK and Room Stat is OK. Recent replacements.

Plumber seems to think there is a flow imbalance on the return side, with the Cylinder flow return stopping the Heating flow return. He is suggesting that a balance valve is fitted to the Cylinder Return to reduce the flow and balance the cylinder and heating return flows.

My concern is that the reduced flow will not heat the Cylinder up and will not be suitable for the Boiler.

Tim

Sponsored Links
If I turn off the Cylinder Stat off heating comes on. If heating is on and I take a bath radiators go cold until the Cylinder has reached its required temperature. Then the Radiator start to warm up

can you see a model number on the honeywell lid or valve ?

sounds like a diverter valve not a mid position valve ? :idea:

I agree with the plumber the flow is probily short circuiting through the cylinder and back to the boiler it just needs a locksheild gate valve on the cylinder return 10min job

Sponsored Links
Hello

Many thanks for your reply.

If the Boiler is heating the Cylinder only will a reduced flow reduce the amount of heat going to the Cylinder, and will the Boiler be OK?

Tim

Modern high recovery cylinders should be set to times when the ch is not on.
This will give a much better performance than fitting a balance valve and keeping ch and dhw on at the same time.
There should be a balance/restrictor valve on the dhw loop anyway to ensure the required drop in flow temperature.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back