New boiler inst, charged for a spark to fit mech clock.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, just wanted to ask a quick question, cant find the answer on search.
Ive had a Main Combi Eco 25 flue and mech clock pack to replace my old boiler, the 2 heating engineers who came to fit it had to ring an electrician to install the integral clock/ mech clock to the facia of the boiler?
To the cost of £60.
Is this normal, is it something to do with the installation and warranty?
I had a look at the fitting instructions and tbh it seemed pretty damn simple to fit.

thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
The installers should have fitted it - no electrical qualifications required as it is an integral part of the boiler. Get your money back and delete their number from your phone,after the warranty period (assuming they are available when you ring).

BTW no more carrots for their horses either ;)

It certainly doesn't sound right from what you have written - quite possibly a scam between the three of them, or at best complete incompetence and ineptitude on their part (quite possible - there are some real monkeys out there fitting boilers).

Mathew

Are you sure thats all he did?

I wire boilers for various heating fitters/companies as they simply don't have the time/can't be bothered to do it themselves.

If they had fitted it they would have only added the £60 onto their bill.

Sponsored Links
cheers for that.
Theres a new junction box and the power switch has been moved to under the boiler, but they told me the electrician had to be called to do the clock, not move the socket.

cant stand liars.

Try asking the installers, how do you expect anyone on a forum to know the full reasons they got a sparks to do it.

It certainly doesn't sound right from what you have written - quite possibly a scam between the three of them, or at best complete incompetence and ineptitude on their part (quite possible - there are some real monkeys out there fitting boilers).

Mathew

I don't agree with a word of this.
Heating engineers are competant at HEATING, ie water, pipes, boilers.
Electricians are competant at ELECTRICITY, ie wiring, controls, sockets, switches.

:rolleyes:

I also don't feel we are being told the full story.

Try asking the installers, how do you expect anyone on a forum to know the full reasons they got a sparks to do it.

This is what i was told, the spark fitted the clock, and charged £60.
My power socket has moved about 3ft with a junction box added to the old position.
Fair enough if they said it was for that, but they said the spark was there to fit the mech clock, not move a socket.

Mathew

I don't agree with a word of this.
Heating engineers are competant at HEATING, ie water, pipes, boilers.
Electricians are competant at ELECTRICITY, ie wiring, controls, sockets, switches.

:rolleyes:

I also don't feel we are being told the full story.

my point. exactly.
they didnt say it was for moving a socket 3ft, i'd of done that myself if i wasnt at work, the point is the engineers told me they had to call a spark to fit the clock.

Did you not agree a price before the work started? if so dont worry about it your not paying anymore then agreed, an if not more fool you. simples ;)

OP to be honest you would be amaised how many very intelligent plumbers can't do a simple thing like connect a manufacturers clock and a roomstat properly in a combi. I get frequent calls for help in these areas. It really does amaise me how thick some people seem to be. So it is quite likely they didn't have a clue about it and thought their best way to deal with this was to get an electrician in to sort it.

As it wasn't a job requiring a member of a competent persons scheme they shouldn't have charged you for their need for support.

Any competent boiler engineer can do any wiring and diagnose electrical faults on boilers.

BUT many installers are not engineers in the proper sense but just gas registered fitters with no idea of anything electrical or of how to repair boilers.

ALSO if the wiring is in a kitchen or bathroom then fixed wiring like sockets or switched fused spurs DO have to be fitted by a person who holds an electrical qualification and is a member of a notifying body as that is notifyiable work! ( Yes, I agree, who is going to know! But I am only telling you what the requirements are. ).

Tony

BUT many installers are not engineers in the proper sense
Indeed. 'Engineer' ought to be a protected term a la Doctor etc otherwise it will continue to be an abused term and practically meaningless. If one could confidently seek out the services of a Heating Engineer, and not a spanner-wielding monkey plumber masquerading as one, then I'm sure the industry would soon be able to lift it's reputation out of the gutter.

Mathew (a proper Engineer ;))

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back