New boiler install - wiring check

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I had a new boiler installed the other day and it keeps running all the time and doesn't shut off.

When the guy was installing it, he blew a fuse, so that didn't inspire confidence.

The boiler is fed by a 5 core and he's connected the black wire to Lr and the grey one to Ls. Has he got this the wrong way round? The boiler is a Worcester bosch 32cdi compact combi.

The heating system is a combi, with two heating zones and has two Danfoss HPA2 motorised valves upstairs.
IMG_20191222_180814.jpg

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
connected the black wire to Lr and the grey one to Ls. Has he got this the wrong way round?
Won't matter which way round, those just activate the boiler when connected together.

What does matter is what those wires are connected to at the other end.

Ah ok, I see what you're saying. I'd need to know where those cables terminate on the wiring board upstairs and how they connect to the motorised valve. I have a picture of the wiring board upstairs (not a very good one) and you can see the two motorised valves coming in from the bottom, which have four cables each.
IMG_20191222_152338.jpg

The picture below is the one directly next to the boiler:

IMG_20191222_154204.jpg

The guy is supposed to be getting back to me about a fix and he's sent a picture off to an electrician to check. I just wanted to make sure it was 'safe' to leave it the way it is at the moment? Is there any danger of it damaging the PCB or anything else, like the stats?

Thanks in advance,

I just wanted to make sure it was 'safe' to leave it the way it is at the moment?
Impossible to know. Given that a fuse has already been blown, probably not.

For a new install, that is exceptionally poor.
The whole lot needs to be redone properly with a wiring centre, similar to this:

wirng_centre.jpg

Sponsored Links
Haha, thanks, I needed a laugh as I'm not very happy right now.

I'm going back to BOXT to complain about this failed install and demand they send a qualified electrician to look at it.

It's not uncommon that if a short circuit occurs as a programmer or a thermostat switch 'on', that the electrical current drawn for a split second before the fuse blows is sufficient to weld the two parts of the switch together, resulting in a permanently 'on' situation.

Looks wired wrong to me, not as per mi’s. Have you had anyone back yet?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back