New Boiler install...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any help on my predicament would be much appreciated.

I currently have a Baxi Bermuda that has a sedbuk rating of G. We have been saving for a while for a new boiler. Currently we have enough hot water for one bath then the emersion heater goes on... must be costing me a fortune! The air vents mean that our house has a constant draft to say the least.

Now we have the paper work on the way for the boiler scrappage scheme. So a £400 voucher to help.

My house is a semi detached. Two sinks, 1 bath with a mixer tap/shower. 7 rads. Historically I have been quoted around £2.5k to decommision the old boiler and install a new one in the airing cupboard. 2 days work I am told? The installers all keep saying valiant, won't even consider installing anything else..

I will admit that I see a valiant as being a bit of a 'Rolls Royce' of a boiler. I don't and probably never will afford a Royce so why fit the equivalent in the airing cupboard?!

I am not worried how pretty the thing looks. As long as it works and I can get enough heat for the house and hot water for the bath!

So I think that I need a 24kw boiler?

I am thinking of the following boilers:-
Alpha CD25x
Biasi Riva Advance 24HE
Ideal Logic + Combi

I appreciate that a lot of people have varied opinions on the subject, so I suspect I'm opening a can of worms. Can anybody give me details of any experiences with these boilers or reccomend an A rated boiler that is close to this price bracket and a gas safe installer happy to carry out the install in the Somerset area.

As for the old system, I am more than happy to remove it myself once disconnected.

The main gas pipe runs right past the airing cupboard, where the hot water cyliner is currently located. Only thing is the airing cupboard is not on an outside wall. so the flue will I suspect either go up into the loft and out for the side of the house or through the roof... I am not worried either way!

All help gratefully welcomed.

Any help will be much appreciated.[/i]

Sponsored Links
You are in the classic combi trap !

Some of that cost, £400 in our case is to convert the system to a combi boiler ( which does have some limitations ).

The cheapest solutions are to keep the cylinder and fit a 12 kW or 15 kW heat only boiler for about £1500 !

You seem to have some of the usual pig headed quotes which will not consider a budget solution.

I always suggest a budget, mid price and top spec solution.

A Worcester heat only is a good compromise although I have some vaillant 11 kW in stock at a budget price for anyone with a smaller property.

Tony

I will admit that I see a valiant as being a bit of a 'Rolls Royce' of a boiler. I don't and probably never will afford a Royce so why fit the equivalent in the airing cupboard?!

I am not worried how pretty the thing looks. As long as it works and I can get enough heat for the house and hot water for the bath!

You've answered your own question there IMHO! The Vaillant does seem to be more reliable, last thing you need in this weather is for it to break down. All installers have their preferences, but the Ideal's to seem to be far from ideal.... If you bought a car that was unreliable would you recommend it to others?

You will want this new system to last a few years so best to get it right from the start. Upgrading the existing system with better controls, and a new cylinder could make a vast difference, and then you have the immersion to give you emergency backup for hot water. With a new room sealed boiler then ventilation is not so vital, draughts can be reduced and the system is then not working so hard to maintain room temp.

Combi's have their place, but in the event of a breakdown you lose heat and hot water. It is your home, your money and your choice.

Combi's have their place, but in the event of a breakdown you lose heat and hot water.

And when it does your guarantee is not an emergency service. You will have to pay for fast cover to get HW back. Furthermore the people who can 1st visit fix your combi tend not to need to work round the clock, leaving you with those who attend order parts and re-book etc etc etc.

Sponsored Links
I appreciate your thoughts on the Rolls Royce, however, I drive a Skoda Superb, brilliant car, not a roller and far from the price, 35k miles in 6 months. Exceptionally reliable, comfortable etc etc and by far the best car I have ever owned, around a tenth of the price of a roller?!

Hence why I am looking around to see if better value with a high level of reliability is available?

I appreciate your thoughts on the Rolls Royce, however, I drive a Skoda Superb, brilliant car, not a roller and far from the price, 35k miles in 6 months. Exceptionally reliable, comfortable etc etc and by far the best car I have ever owned, around a tenth of the price of a roller?!

Hence why I am looking around to see if better value with a high level of reliability is available?

The point being made to you is about the reliability of type not brand.

Point taken.

Big spanners in the works.... need to give it some more thought, was looking forward to clearing the loft and making a lot more space!

Thanks for the suggestions.

if you want reliability stick with your origional setup.a good service and maybe an upgrade of your system controls is alls you need.your hot water issue is proberbly not down to the boiler. but the current system you have.

To be honest the decsion has been taken to remove the back boiler.

Most of my neighbours have done so and all are over the moon with the results.

Reasons for changing are:-

I need to get rid of the 70's fire in the lounge it looks aweful.
I need more hot water.
I want to reduce the costs of running the house.
I want to be rid of the vents as they are making two of the rooms freezing cold.
I need the storage space in the loft and the tanks are a pain in the rear.

Hence the decision is to go for a combi system.

Can I have thoughts on the Biasi and Alpha systems?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back