new boiler new system??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi , looking into haveing a primary boiler replaced in a property i let. A fitter came to give me a quote and stated that" the heating is pumped and the hot water is gravity fed and new boilers will not work on that kind of system, i require a new heating system and quoted me £3500.00"
Is this correct?? , the top and bottem of it is the system works fine and so does the current boiler. the only reason i would change it is to save the tenants money on their heating bills but at £3500.00 i would not bother.
If anyone could shed light on why new boilers will not work on this system that would be great thanks mark

Sponsored Links
Hi there

I would get a few more quotes!

Firstly modern boilers are not designed to work on these systems.
Fully pumped systems are more efficient.

Secondly there should not be a lot involved in converting your system to fully pumped, adding a mid position valve or two 2 port zone valves,upgrading programmer and adding a stat to cylinder if there is not one there already.

Another option if you want to change is to go for a combi and convert your current system.This would depend on the current state of your system,ie pipework and rads/rad valves.Also depends on your incoming main for a good flowrate and pressure.

Personally if there is nothing wrong with your boiler I would go for the first option.

What boiler do you have?

Hope this helps

Graham

A new boiler would not be able to be connected to this kind of system as gravity fed hot water is very ineficient and would not be acceptable. You don't need a whole new system though, the pipework currently at the boiler will just need to be adapted. It will need 2 new zone valves to separate the hot water and heating zones. Both these zones will then be pumped and controlled by a thermostat.

You may need a new cylinder as well though, if the one there now isn't up to current part L regs. Also maybe worth considering a powerflush as it is probably quite an old system

Hi Mark

Where in Yorkshire are you as our company may be able to provide you with a quote which i feel would be considrebly less from the info you have provided.

Thanks
Charles

Sponsored Links
Forgot to add if flow and returns get crossed on repipe make sure there is no anti gravity valve in the ssystem.
I found that out the hard way!!!! :oops: :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back