New boiler or stick with existing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I’ve just moved into my new home and it’s got a baxi boiler (installed 2010) and cylinder. The house has a main family bathroom and we’ve got a shower ensuite. We don’t tend to take showers at the same times and there are only two adults and one child.
The only thing I’m not a fan of is the water pressure (Both showers do have electric pumps) and the space that the cylinder takes up. With the government announcing a potential green deal in the autumn I was thinking of switching to a combination boiler. I’d regain the space of a whole cupboard (cylinder) and better mains Cold pressure upstairs.
Looking for opinions from gas engineers and plumbers.
Is a combi boiler cheaper to run?
Will the new government deal cover this replacement or will it be like for like?
Are cylinders, water pumps more reliable?
Thank you,
Ricky

Sponsored Links
If I were you, I’d check your water pressure/flow first. If it’s not enough, you won’t be able to have a combi.

Sponsored Links
Get your supply pressure & flow determined before you make that sort of decision. I'd be surprised if your 2010 boiler was eligible for any green deal replacement offer, it should be fairly efficient already.

Hello,

With the government announcing a potential green deal in the autumn I was thinking of switching to a combination boiler.
Ricky
I would too but even with my 30 year old boiler I wouldn't hold my breath on ANY Gov. schemes :rolleyes:

Well I've looked @ the gov. info , my Mrs. has 1 qualifying benefit. I could save £123 a year on gas . Then would I trust a gov. provided installer ? Not after seeing my neighbours install a couple of years ago. When I eventually get a new boiler I'll post about it here.......Watch this space;)

Get your supply pressure & flow determined before you make that sort of decision. I'd be surprised if your 2010 boiler was eligible for any green deal replacement offer, it should be fairly efficient already.

on the current eco scheme your boiler only needs to be 7 year old to be replaced.

Would you advise a generator back up for all in case the electricity goes off?
Why does this keep cropping up?? ..I have never known a power cut since the strikes of the 1970s.How much Just in case backup do people require?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back