New boiler quote

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I moved into a new house a few months ago, and are planning to do up the kitchen next year. As a precursor, we thought it would be a good idea to replace the boiler, as it's quite old (~15 yrs) and the service engineer thought we may have difficulty getting parts (it's working fine for the moment though) so we figured we'd replace now rather than rip up the new kitchen to put one in.

I had British Gas in last week to give me a quote, and I was quite surprised by the cost. £1200+ for a Glowworm Micron boiler plus another few hundred for parts, fitting etc. Grand total £2200...!

Is this a reasonable quotation, or by using British Gas am I 'paying for the name'? If so,what would be a more reasonable price?

Also, just searching in Internet, I've seen one or two negative comments on Glowworm products - anyone care to comment?

Cheers....

Sponsored Links
Try ringing some boiler suppliers for a price. You could buy it and have someone in to fit it. I often work this way. If you expect the installer to supply it you must expect to pay a margin to cover the unexpected future problems, - fact of life.

Then ring a few service guys and see if they'll fit it and how much. Don't take the cheapest quote, with a system as old as yours, you MUST have it powerflushed (and this must be done properly) otherwise you ma have premature boiler failure and the manufacturer will not be interested. Most of them give a 5 year warranty on the heat exchanger. (But forget it if it wasn't powerflushed). Corrosion inhibitor should be put in too.

I wouldn't bother with a condensing boiler unless you have underfloor heating. The return temperature with a radiator system will be too high for the boiler to condense, so for the extra cost the payback time will be loooooong. They will condense og during the warm up period, but once the systems hot they don't.

ginster321 said:
Hi,

I moved into a new house a few months ago, and are planning to do up the kitchen next year. As a precursor, we thought it would be a good idea to replace the boiler, as it's quite old (~15 yrs) and the service engineer thought we may have difficulty getting parts (it's working fine for the moment though) so we figured we'd replace now rather than rip up the new kitchen to put one in.

I had British Gas in last week to give me a quote, and I was quite surprised by the cost. £1200+ for a Glowworm Micron boiler plus another few hundred for parts, fitting etc. Grand total £2200...!

Is this a reasonable quotation, or by using British Gas am I 'paying for the name'? If so,what would be a more reasonable price?

Also, just searching in Internet, I've seen one or two negative comments on Glowworm products - anyone care to comment?

Cheers....

must disagree with oilman go for a condensing boiler no matter what the situation as they are now only marginally more expensive than a usaul one

BG are VVVVV expensive try a couple of local firms recommended by a friend would be good

at present prices for condensing boilers are running at about 650 ( down my way you can get a Ideal Icos condensing system for 675 plus vat)

some firms (myself included) will not fit client supplied appliances but if you know someone with the knowledge of the oilman get him in :p

You're lucky, price differential is much larger for oil boilers.

I fit "client supplied" boilers, but I do suggest what and where they buy after discussing their needs, that way I'm not in for the flack if the boiler has a problem and they have a choice which is not restricted by having to accept a package price.

Some customers don't want to be involved in choosing, then again I don't need to take all jobs available.

Sponsored Links
Give these a try for boilers http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/
I puchased one from them last year with no probs. The Boiler arrived next day with free delivery. Also got a 10% discount buy registering with them as a self builder. I don't know if they still offer the 10% discount but their prices are very keen.

in view of what corgiman said some firms (myself included) will not fit client supplied appliances but if you know someone with the knowledge of the oilman get him in

would it not be a good idea to find a heating engineer who will fit the boiler before you buy it?

just a thought

breezer said:
in view of what corgiman said some firms (myself included) will not fit client supplied appliances but if you know someone with the knowledge of the oilman get him in

would it not be a good idea to find a heating engineer who will fit the boiler before you buy it?

just a thought

think we are all missing the point of the original question chaps

1, is the quote expensive

answer

FoR BG no for everyone else yes

2, Gloworm good or Bad

Answer

Just my opinion yes awful terrible after sale service by''er getting parts

As for fitting client supplied boilers I always found that if I did it the client, for some reason, blamed me and not the manufactuer for everything so I thought bu//er that and stopped doing it.

GINSTER why did you go to BG and not the service engineer who said it may be hard to get the parts? he sounds like a gem to me

Thanks all for the advice...very impressed with the number of replies!!

Breezer, re:getting the service engineer back in... he was BG himself! He was checking out the boiler as part of a service contract with BG. (Conflict of interest in recommending new boiler? Possibly, but I think he was honest enough actually)

Cheers again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back