New boiler required.. looking for alternatives to installer recommended

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have recently moved into a new house, we are going to replace the existing system boiler with a combi (because it's old and we want more space)

Anyway my extended family always use the same installer. He does an excellent job but is a little bit on the pricey side.

+He only installs Worcester Bosch boilers because they are the best and he's an expert and is a accredited platinum installer. So for the replacement boiler +pipework he's charging £5k

To be frank we can't afford it. So will be on the lookout for another installer. Under ideal circumstances we would not hesitate about getting a Worcester Bosch; but we cannot afford it. So we are willing to compromise on quality to save money. What would you guys recommend as an alternate boiler brand (cheaper). Then I'll try and find an installer for that.

We only want to spend about 2.5k in total apart from the install we want to re move the cylinder which world require some pipe rework. So any chance we could get everything all in for 2.5k?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Maybe if you kept the cylinder and replaced only the boiler with another system boiler then pipe work alterations would be minimal and the total cost may come under your ( tight ) budget.

Shop around local installers around here (S.W.Cumbria) will do it for less than £2.5K

only installs Worcester Bosch boilers because they are the best
Well scrap that comment for a start. Wouldn't dream of recommending one of them to be hung on the wall, that's for sure, they certainly ain't the best IMO.

accredited platinum installer
That'll be why he installs them and says they're the best, lovely rewards package I'm sure.

Without being onsite and seeing the job, it's nigh on impossible to say whether you could install a new combi boiler and associated work for £2.5K

Sponsored Links
WB are far from being the best. As Madrab has said, he's recommending them because he's a platinum installer, and has to fit quite a lot of them every year to keep that status. If he doesn't keep his numbers up, he gets dropped down a level.

What boiler do you have now? Is the new boiler proposed to go into the same location? Your budget is indeed extremely tight, but could be doable. As for which boiler, go for an Intergas - far superior boiler to the one that you've been recommended, and less money too

+1 for Intergas as muggles mentions, excellent boilers.

I seem to repair more WB's than I do any other boiler. Could be as there are so many out there but IME their build quality and ergo reliability has dropped dramatically over the last few yearsa but still ask premium prices.

The beauty of Intergas is their entry level boilers are very very well priced for a very well designed piece of kit with a HEx guarantee of 7/10 years regardless ... that's hard to beat.

Conversion and decent boiler + install for 2.5k... even without seeing site conditions it sounds tight but not impossible... Where are you located?

We've accepted a quote actually. A guy came round yesterday and quoted 1800! (All in)

Boiler is a baxi main eco Elite. I know it's a budget boiler but we had a baxi in the last house and it was pretty good. And the installer said that the boiler brand doesn't really matter; the main thing is to keep the water clean using a chemical and service once every year.

Have you evaluated said installer on anything other than price?

Gas Safe?
References?
Type of controls?
Powerflush?
Filter?
Copper or plastic?
Etc...

Replies below.

Gas Safe? Yes
References? Yes was recommended by friend
Type of controls? Salus wireless thermostat controller
Powerflush? No. A chemical flush and chemical cleaner
Filter? Yes femtox magnetic filter already installed. Going to reuse
Copper or plastic? Don't know. But there's not a lot of pipework to do and existing is copper
All materials and parts included? Yes
Expected time to completion: 1.5 days ,+ 1 courtesy visit to check 2 weeks later

Last edited:
I thought powerflush was needed to satisfy manufacturers warranty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back