New Boiler - Should I or Shouldn't I?

Ok so the short version is that you are all saying my boiler may not pack in for some time, and even if it does, it doesn't mean it can't be fixed.....

If that's the case I'll stick with it, but keep that money in the bank just in case!

Oh, and sorry to add on another question but....

Do the new boilers that have to be fitted use tanks any more? We have a header tank in the loft, plus a hot water tank in the kitchen, it'd be great to get rid of the one in the kitchen.....

Sponsored Links
If your gas valve looks something like this
GW-GV.gif

(Knob can be blue or brown, and the one in the pic is broken, sorry!)

They're obsolete, so hard to get.
Yes you could get rid of your tank(s) but the answer's long - look into combis and unvented hot water systems.

Thanks Chris, I'd only be getting rid of the tanks if I was getting a new boiler/system. I won't be looking into removing anything if I'm keeping the same boiler :)

As for the energy efficiency/money thing, I can see both sides of the argument. Energy Efficiency does indeed save you money, but does not take into account the cost of achieving said efficiency, or maintaining it.

Sponsored Links
ChrisR said:
If your gas valve looks something like this
GW-GV.gif

(Knob can be blue or brown, and the one in the pic is broken, sorry!)

They're obsolete, so hard to get.
quote]

thats why i take them off old boilers and store them :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: thank you that will be £100 for a 2nd hand gas valve to keep you going :LOL:

We have a really old (about 25 years) Potterton boiler which last year we were considering relacing simply because everyone we know seems to be having combi boilers fitted.

We had BG and another local company quote , both of whom wanted loads of money as ours was not just a simple job (nothing ever is here!) Then had a local chap who was recommended by a couple of friends who said he would not have actually thought a combi boiler would be right in our house. He was able to obtain spare parts easily and left us some other packaged parts that were not needed at the time FOC. Hopefully if we treat it right we shall have our old boiler for several more years. If it isnt broke dont fix it seems to be the way to go, for us anyway.

Dont know if you've got somethibng sorted but please feel free to get in touch, I'm nearby and am happy to give you some advice. Email in my profile ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back