New boiler - stay vented or go to system.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to replace a very aged boiler in the spring.

Currently have fully pumped, vented system.

As a rule of thumb and assuming my pipework is OK would I be best to upgrade to a system boiler or stick with a like for like regular boiler.

I'm asking now because I'm going to change the pump and this would be the difference bewtween a Grundfos and a cheapy to get over the winter (I think I'm correct in assuming that system boilers have built in pumps).

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Firstly, the new boiler has to be condensing.

Very few modern boilers are suitable for open vented systems unless you have three floors and the boiler is at the lowest point.

Most modern boilers are only sold as combi or system!

Even the cheap pumps on a clean system should give 10-20 years service so use the cheapest you can find! If its dirty then dont risk spoiling an expensive pump.

Tony Glazier

please rephrase your remarks tony that may be the case in your experience but most if not all manufacturers offer alternatives to combis or system boilers. :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I'd been looking at Gloworm 24hxi or Vaillant ecoMax pro 28E both regular boilers.

I live in a bungalow so your comments about living on three floors are interesting. Do I need to have my system pressure tested or such like to see if it's OK for a system boiler or should it be OK?

Will get a cheapo Dab or Wilo pump for now. Are they noisier though beacuse the pump is right over my lounge?

I'd been looking at the Grundfos Alpha pumps but didn't like the price tag so £30 on a cheapo sounds better.

Alpha pumps are theoretically a good idea as they maintain a constant pressure as valves open and close. They also have an anti-stick start function (in case they stick :D )

PEDANTICVINDICTIVEMAN said:
10 to 20 years for a pump, your kidding.
30 years in my old Dad`s system....I put it in ,in 74 and fernoxed it properly :LOL:

Ideal do at least one OK for vented systems.
For a new system I'd always go sealed but if yours might have wee leaks then that could be a pain. Vented, with annual dose of inhibitor would be less hassle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back