New boiler vs old boiler dilemma

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 19 year old Glow Worm Economy 40b boiler that has worked perfectly till last year when it had to have a new pump and a thermocouple and is working well again apart from the fact it needs a power flush following having a leaking radiator changed. We are in the process of fitting a new kitchen ourselves and had the plans drawn up by B&Q who failed to spot the wall cupboards where so tall they fouled the pipes coming down from the loft to the boiler (we are in a bungalow) and there is no way of cutting or adjusting the cupboards to fit and it affects the cupboard covering the boiler and the one next to it.

I think I have two choices as far as I can see it, keep the boiler and have the pipes moves up higher and have a power flush done, I've been quoted £400 for the job, or have a new boiler fitted in the dining area of the kitchen out of the way with a chimney going out through the roof and a power flush for £2000.

I'm not sure which is the best route as I've been told my Glow Worm is in good condition and I've heard new boilers are no where near as reliable these days and don't last that long. I don't want to get talked into a new boiler and all the extra cost if I don't need to go that far when the one I have is basically OK but I'm unsure how much longer it will last.

I would be grateful for any feedback, thanks.

Sponsored Links
We are in the process of fitting a new kitchen ourselves and had the plans drawn up by B&Q who failed to spot the wall cupboards where so tall they fouled the pipes coming down from the loft to the boiler
Go back to B&Q and ask what they intend doing about it. It's not your problem - it's theirs!.

I have spoken to them and also written to them but I'm not expecting too much. Despite contacting them it doesn't alter the fact the two wall units do not fit and cannot be made to fit due to the positioning of the piping - my old units where shorter. If I shorten the new ones then the other two I have to go on the other side of the extractor will not match size wise and I don't want to end up cutting them down as well, apart from which the doors will still be the orginal size due to the style they are and cannot be cut down.

Why not look at relocating your new boiler to the loft area, therefore you don;t have to rearrange any of your kitchen and no unsightly pipework anywhere. The ecomony is a basic reliable boiler granted but every boiler has a shelf life particularly if not looked after. Got one to strip down and service next week, not been looked at for years :(

Mike

Sponsored Links
A small diy shop in my local area can supply any door colour and size 2 week turn over . So b and q should sort out your problem get on to them and dont take no for an answer.

I have spoken to them and also written to them but I'm not expecting too much. Despite contacting them it doesn't alter the fact the two wall units do not fit and cannot be made to fit due to the positioning of the piping - my old units where shorter.
If B&Q did not measure up properly and consequently did not realize that the pipes would be in the way, then they failed in their duty of care to you as their customer. I would speak to your local Trading Standards Department about the problem. You should not be inconvenienced by their incompetence and certainly should not have to fork out money to solve a problem which B&Q created.

Of course, if they had done their job properly, found the problem and informed you of it, then you would have been able to discuss ways of solving it, e.g different cupboards, different layout, relocating the boiler. But they didn't, so you are left with the prospect of spending a couple of thousand pounds solving a problem B&Q created.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back