New boiler with hot water storage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Current boiler is a vaillant combi. It's 20 years old now so thinking of having it replaced this summer. The boiler is located quite a way from the kitchen and bathroom, about 15 metres I would guess, so it takes a while for hot water to reach the taps, therefore wasting water and gas. Bit of a nuisance if you just want to draw off a small amount of hot water.

I understand that you can now get combi boilers with built in hot water storage. If I had one of these, would it solve my problem, and would it be worth the extra expense?

Sponsored Links
I have one, it was already here. short pipe runs so wasn't necessary i think.
if you google combi with water storage, there's lots to read i just have.,

My mother had one, pain in the neck, with storage turned on, if one goes for a shower it starts cold, gets warm, then goes cold and finally gets warm again, so wastes gas running the shower until it stays warm before going under it.

Turn the storage off, and when you turn on tap a little no hot water, tap needed to be on full.

Did consider a combi here, but in real terms it is a very small storage tank inside the boiler, and run from boiler to taps is further than run from cistern to taps, so delay would increase, and with a cistern we can have an immersion heater powered with an iboost+ so DHW heated in the main by solar so far cheaper than running the boiler, and to have a store in the boiler clearly the boiler is larger, and already the oil boiler we have is a large lump on the kitchen floor.

I have considered a small heater at the front kitchen, the back kitchen seldom used, but each one I have looked at is a large lump taking up room in some kitchen cupboard. And I am short on storage. So only real need for warm water is to wash hands, boiling water is from kettles, I looked at things like this 1710247659306.pngbut 3.5 kW so needs dedicated supply, this 1710247862761.png hold 15 litres and is only 2 KW so would work, but then using electric at peak rate, and fills a cupboard. So although running off cold water to get the hot at the moment at least I am using oil or solar which must be cheaper to using electric at peak rate.

As to if supplied with a timer so heated over night only it would stay hot through the day not sure, 8.95p per kWh midnight to 8 am, and 31.31p per kWh during the day so not sure how this compares with loss of heat when using oil or gas, so is it worth it?

A £130 unit to save a few pence lost heating up the pipe work and boiler seems like cracking a nut with a sledge hammer. I had an instant gas heater for years, not a combi, two independent boilers next to each other, and I knew what needed doing, it needed the 22 mm pipe work removing and replacing with a smaller bore pipe, as at mains pressure no need for large bore, and the pipes needed lagging, but looking at £100's to do the work, to save a fraction of a penny each time used, I look at what I have done with this house, and wonder was it worth it?

I had the iboost+ fitted when the solar panels went in, I have 6 kW of panels, and 3.2 kW of storage, and electric costs between £1.50 and £3.50 per day, around £2 most days, my direct debit per month has gone down by £30 but spend over £10k so 27 years to break even, I seem to have got it wrong? Was told around 6 years to get pay back, so at £139 per month saving I would break even, but was only spending £119.70 so would need to get £20 a month for my export to get it back in 6 years.

So don't make my mistake, do your maths first, likely not worth doing anything.

Sponsored Links
Current boiler is a vaillant combi. It's 20 years old now so thinking of having it replaced this summer. The boiler is located quite a way from the kitchen and bathroom, about 15 metres I would guess, so it takes a while for hot water to reach the taps, therefore wasting water and gas. Bit of a nuisance if you just want to draw off a small amount of hot water.

I understand that you can now get combi boilers with built in hot water storage. If I had one of these, would it solve my problem, and would it be worth the extra expense?

I've replaced all my 15mm pipework with individual 10mm poly going to each outlet via a manifold. Surprisingly enough it makes a big difference and most probably better pressure when more than one outlet is open

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back