New boiler Worcester Bosch Greenstar 15Ri, comments

No, I don’t think it’s a proper fault code, hence me tagging in x2 Vaillant expert engineers. It could be an electrical fault.
Thank you fingers crossed, just tried it again and still running, no idea why, wouldn’t run more than 40 seconds yesterday or all morning how can I reset the fault menu in case it’s glitched

UPDATE Was running for around 15 minutes, got to 53oC then started banging and crashing again, turned it off sounded awful

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
Thank you fingers crossed, just tried it again and still running, no idea why, wouldn’t run more than 40 seconds yesterday or all morning how can I reset the fault menu in case it’s glitched

UPDATE Was running for around 15 minutes, got to 53oC then started banging and crashing again, turned it off sounded awful
Was the pump running when the banging started? LED on the pump lit when running (or at least getting power).

Last time I had a banging boiler was many years ago on a CH501 boiler. This had a modulating burner, with a bellows to work the gas valve. The fluid had leaked out so no modulation. It was OK on CH as the temperature didn't rise too high (plenty of rad area vs boiler output) but on HW it started banging. Replacement part cured it.

Sponsored Links
Was the pump running when the banging started? LED on the pump lit when running (or at least getting power).

Last time I had a banging boiler was many years ago on a CH501 boiler. This had a modulating burner, with a bellows to work the gas valve. The fluid had leaked out so no modulation. It was OK on CH as the temperature didn't rise too high (plenty of rad area vs boiler output) but on HW it started banging. Replacement part cured it.
Yes the pump was still running ok

Yes the pump was still running ok
Mmm, puzzling. Have you tried contacting Vaillant, to see if they have any ideas? It would be a shame to replace the boiler and find you still have the problem.
Any chance of flow being restricted?

Unlikely, everything gets so hot so quickly, Vailant say blocked H.E. But don’t see how it can run from COLD for 15-20 minutes without issue then B&C…..like to reset the fault menu, found how to do it on another forum but doesn’t seem to work

Does sound like a blocked heat exchanger,

The water flows through it but not fast enough.

I'm pretty sure I remember these boilers have tiny water ways in the heat exchanger

That makes sense, as it heats up not enough water can get through the H.E. for the higher burn. Should have seen that, thanks, and yes I’ve heard this type of boiler does have narrow waterways. So could a chemical flush of the H.E. devolve the limescale, think it would need to be removed to do it properly

Last edited:
Is it an expensive job to remove the H.E. and chemically clean it, also would that remove all limescale thanks

Depends on who does it, it does have to be someone who is gas Safe.

It doesn't always work.

You can get high power cleaners you can install in the system, but they need the boiler to run to work.

Depends on who does it, it does have to be someone who is gas Safe.

It doesn't always work.

You can get high power cleaners you can install in the system, but they need the boiler to run to work.
That’s what I was afraid of, when you it doesn’t always work, are you referring to removing the H.E and acid washing ? Think all in all I’m better off with a new boiler, getting strange shutdowns now after 40 seconds, or the kettling, as it’s 14 years old it may be throwing good money after bad.

thanks for everyone’s help

still curious how to reset the error menu ?

That’s what I was afraid of, when you it doesn’t always work, are you referring to removing the H.E and acid washing ? Think all in all I’m better off with a new boiler, getting strange shutdowns now after 40 seconds, or the kettling, as it’s 14 years old it may be throwing good money after bad.

thanks for everyone’s help

still curious how to reset the error menu ?

Yeah I looked at the price of new heat exchangers yesterday and there a couple of hundred quid.

For now it would be worthwhile buying some sentinel x800 and seeing if that helps at all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back