New Boiler

up to you simond...

I can see the difference, if other manufacturers cant make condensing boilers in the same way as intergas does then its their loss.

to me it makes the choice more obvious.

In some ways I am glad that the big boys like bg don't fit them. gives me a competitive edge fitting a boiler that is arguably far better than what they could supply.

BTW was thinking on going on the atmos multi boiler course... I take it you don't think highly of them?

Sponsored Links
Well Gents,
Thanks for all the input, certainly food for thought.
Summary:-

WORCESTER
Awkward to work on.
OK reliability
Spares availability good.
Spares cost maybe a little more than average.
Boiler possibly overpriced

VALLIANT
Easy to work on
OK reliability
Debate on spares availability.
Spares cost less than average

The newcomers:-

VIESSMANN
No comments on ease of repairs
OK reliability
Spares availability debateable to good
Spares cost much more than average

INTERGAS
Easy to work on
Good reliability
Possibly limited spares outlets
No comment on spares cost.
Boiler cost competitive
No track record in UK

One other question while its in my head, do all combi's cease CH in favour of DHW or is it a split demand?

Thanks again all.
TTFN

All combi boilers are hot water priority, they will alway put hot water before CH. when hot demand is over then it will switch back to CH.

in order of preference I would recommend:

Intergas
Viessmann
Valliant
WB

Mehran,
I must admit I am leaning towards the Intergas option, I really like the simpicity of design, and have discovered an outlet 10 miles from me.
A couple of questions for you,

In the installation manual it states
If all radiators are equipped with thermostatic or radiator valves, an auto bypass must be fitted in order to guarantee minimum water circulation. The auto bypass must be at a distance of at least 20 ft from the appliance in order to prevent overheating of the
appliance.
Would this include a lockshield valve for balancing?

Also, offhand can you remember the thread size/type of the boiler manual air vent (for replacement with auto)?

Sponsored Links
you much be reading the manual very closely :LOL:

I go with the school of thought that one fully open rad should be enough... depend on what your installers feel about it. my way is not strictly correct. if its micro-bore then would maybe fit one.

i would not bother putting an auto air vent on the boiler. the boiler is designed to not air lock. have seen it done though. it will be 1/2 inch or 3/4 not sure which

DSC00037.jpg

Hi again, If the image has uploaded you will see I have made a template out of some old wallpaper to show the chosen location of the boiler.
A few questions;
The flue outlet is within the 300mm requirement to the window due to its offset nature and also more importantly is right where the concrete lintel above the window is. I don't want to be drilling through that as it would compromise the structural integrity of the house! Is it possible / acceptable to route the flue to the right with two 90deg bends and exit the wall nearer the adjacent wall to avoid this?
Also the plug socket below, would this have to be removed / repositioned incase of water leaks etc?
Thanks[/img]
Oh template includes recommended clearance.

Bump.
Calling Mehran, calling Mehran :)
The flue question is the final hurdle to my boiler choice. It will be later this year. Don't fancy switching the heating off just yet :eek:
Just to confirm, I am getting a good local RGI to install, but will do water side myself up to tails. (He is quite happy with this) He will run the upgraded gas line from meter, fit flue, connect up and commission. (have done my homework, don't want to break the law or be without relevant certification!)
Just don't want to choose a boiler that cannot be fitted in the space allocated (nowhere else suitable without major upheaval)
Thanks

Many thanks Mehan, I think I'll go for the two 90's it will be well clear of the lintel. Will arrange with sparky to remove the socket (or perhaps reposition for supply)
Template includes 10mm clearance each side, was relieved it fitted. Like I say this position is the best choice for shortest access to exsisting outlets, flue run etc.
TTFN

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back