New Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I am currently researching a replacement boiler project and have narrowed my choice of boiler down to two; Valliant ecoTEC plus 831 and Worcester Greenstar 30CDi.
Both seem very similar in specification and suit my requirements. I would be very interested in hearing your opinions on these boilers with regard to reliability and spares availability etc (or even comments on another make with similar specification that you would consider as a better option)
I’m sure you will all have varying opinions and it will be interesting to read any comments.
Regards
Martin

Sponsored Links
From the perspective of someone who mainly repairs boilers, it would be Vaillant all day long. Very easy to work on and spares are more reasonably priced than other makes, including WB. WB to work on, has to be one of the worst designed boilers on the market. However they are fairly reliable and their customer service is decent. Some will say Vaillant customer service is poor, however I called them 3 times in the last few weeks, straight through every time and question answered, make of that what you will.

Far more important than which boiler is slightly better, is the quality of the installer.

A mediocre boiler installed and maintained completely to spec, has a far higher chance of a long problem free service than a top quality boiler installed by a cowboy.

Sponsored Links
True, so supposing I have a really good installer, or indeed if you were installing it yourself, which of the two mentioned would you recommend?

Six of one, half a dozen of the other in terms of build quality.
In terms of after sales quality, WB are generally considered to be the best, Vaillant the worst in the whole country.
Neither are what they used to be, and both are overpriced.

Personally, I prefer Viessmann. Even my colleague who is a dedicated life long Potty fan found them impressive.

I had looked at Viessmann and now realize I dismissed them due to a schoolboy error :oops:
In the installation manual the overall height quoted for mounting is 1925mm. Didn't spot this was for when installing DHW cylinder below! So it seems it will fit in the space I have.
Result!
Will look into it again.

I couldn't tell the difference in required space between WB, Vaillant and Viessmann "normal" combis without the manual and tape measure; almost the same these days.

As long as the vaillant is installed on a clean system this is an excellent combi. The boiler has had issues in the past but all been addressed and sorted out. Added to that if something does go wrong it will be alot easier to get parts for a vaillant than a viessmann. Unfortunately boilers do break down if they didn't I wouldn't have a job. But cant be fixed if the parts aren't available

my vote is for the worcester bosch 30 cdi A top boiler that you shouldn't need to fix for years so spares are not an issue!

I agree it is about the installation very important. Wouldnt touch vaillant myself very poor service and I think the current build quality isn't the best.

Get the worcester fitted by a worcester accredited installer and you ll get a 5 year no quibble guarantee on all parts/labour.

Get the worcester fitted by a worcester accredited installer and you ll get a 5 year no quibble guarantee on all parts/labour.

Thats another questionable practice!

In most cases to become an approved installer to get the longer warrantee, you either only fit Worcester boilers or are employing several people.

The single installer who fits what best for the individual customer will not install enough to get the 5 years warrantee. So good installers cannot compete with a mediocre installer who only fits Worcester.

Tony

A bit of the sour grapes syndrome there, Tony?

Worcester are perfectly entitled to expect loyalty from their installers in terms of training and volumes.

You say yourself that you prefer to do repairs and only undertake the occasional install; therefore you have nothing significant to offer them.

I used to get free delivery and massive discounts on boiler parts from HRPC/Parts Center. Now I hardly do any repairs they bend me over every time I go in there.

Horses for courses.

PS: I think the Vaillant combi is better, too. :evil:

Go back to your first choice - Viessmann! Everything they say about good installation practice is true, and Viessmann are the best engineered.

Five year warranty on all Vitodens 100-W, and on 200-W if fitted by a trained installer.

and your not biased in any way ! I think its quite wrong that employees should promote their employers products on public forums, its cheap advertising

Agile, I think I see what your getting at. Maybe some WB approved installer might be slightly biased so as 'not to bite the hand that feeds' (and to be honest who can blame them!) whereas an independant may offer more options. Fair point, however the length of warranty whether it be 3 or 5 years isn't really the issue.
Lets assume the boiler is to be installed by a good engineer WB approved or not the question is about the specific boilers or alternatives and opinions of installers and consumers alike who may have fitted or are using these products.
Thanks

You do not know where I work or who I am. You are just guessing.

Viessmann are the best engineered boilers out there.

you forgot to add the bit at the end..."in your opinion"

and its quite obvious you work for Viessmann ! You try and shoehorn a recommendation to buy their products into every thread you can. Its not exactly discreet

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back