new boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi helpers, my potterton primaF 50F boiler is over 15 years old so now would like to change it and fancy a combi this time

what would be an equivelant boiler to exchange with, eg potterton or valliant

we have 11 rads in the house and will probably have the system power flushed out as some of the rads are only luke warm at the bottom after balancing/bleeding cheers P M

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't put a combi in my own house.

If you have a hot water tank keep it.

Or if you are having a combi you need to put in an electric shower
as a backup.

If you live alone in the house than a combi will cost more to install but will suit you fine!

Otherwise keep your tank!

They are not a fashion accessory!

Tony

Sponsored Links
there is two of us in 4 bed house and soon to be 3 adults and a child
we have a shower in en suite

so you think i should get a normal boiler and keep the tank wihich has an electric immersion heater as back up

I suppose it will keep the costs down swopping like for like ?

oh which boiler shall i go for cheers and thanks P M

thanks for your input guys, will keep you posted with results, hopefully before winter sets in !

some parts of cambridgeshire have quite poor mains water flowrate which would rule out a combi.

vaillant is a good idea

The setup you have now is perfect for the demands you will be placing on your hot water system. A combi would be an expensive mistake.

What is wrong with the Prima? If the boiler is working well, but rads are not performing, save your money on a boiler for now, but get your system flushed and inhibitor added. Also, make sure that you have thermostatic rad valves, hot water and room stats, so that your system runs efficiently.

If you have good mains and want mains pressure hot water could always go with system boiler and unvented cylinder?

The setup you have now is perfect for the demands you will be placing on your hot water system. A combi would be an expensive mistake.

What is wrong with the Prima? If the boiler is working well, but rads are not performing, save your money on a boiler for now, but get your system flushed and inhibitor added. Also, make sure that you have thermostatic rad valves, hot water and room stats, so that your system runs efficiently.

Well said, this echoes my own thoughts exactly. If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it, a new boiler won't pay for itself if the existing one is reliable so save your money and do nothing apart from the powerflush. If you want better pressure on your hot water system, add a pump.

True flush out the system and see how you go as the system should be flushed before a new boiler goes in anyway

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back