New boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just moved into a new house which has a back boiler fitted it is a boiler by Thorn heating and it was fitted in 1982 so it makes it 30 years old. The whole house needs redecorating so I am planning on getting any major work done early before decorating. I intend to stay in the property for the next 20-30 years. The house is a 3 bed semi with cavity wall insulation and full loft insulation.

My question is should I replace the back boiler? How long do back boilers last? Are they really that inefficient?

I have had a quote for a new boiler an ideal Logic 30Kw with a 5 year warranty, I have read on here that Ideal are not the best boilers, are they really that bad?

I can afford to have a new boiler fitted but I am trying to prioritise my funds!

Any advice gratefully received.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
If you want it to last go for (in this order):

Atmos InterCombi HE32,
Intergas HRE Combi.
Atag A325EC
Vaillant something or other.
Worcester Bosch CDi
Veissman Something or other.

Avoid like the plague:

Ideal
Keston

a new boiler would make sense for a lot of reasons. personally would avoid ideal. other manufacturers offer 5 and 7 yr warranties.

link.com (i think ) offer worcesters with a 10 yr warranty and accredited installers of other boilers can offer 5 or 7 yrs. to be fair i haven t fitted a logic, was totally put off years ago by isars and icos's. best of luck pal

Sponsored Links
1. Efficiency alone IMO is not enough of a reason to change. You could save maybe £300 per year so you will be looking ataround 10+ years to recoup the costs

2. I am not a fan of ideal boilers. Some like them and I hear the logic range is more reliable than previous. I would recommend a Viessmann 200 combi or system boiler depending on your requirements

3. A back boiler is probably about as reliable as you can get. But.......

4. A back boiler is an open vented appliance and as such draws its combustion air from the room it is in meaning you will have air brick/s to outside giving a draught. Aswell as the fact that an open flued appliance is more likely to give off dangerous fumes.

Thank you for all the quick replies, I guess the advantages with the combi is the instant hot water and the high efficiency and it will save money in the long term as long as it doesn't go wrong. The back boiler is so reliable as I understand it but the instant hot water is something I am not used to....I guess with a baby the safety of the back boiler is slightly worrying though.

Just one more question if I did keep the back boiler would that mean I would be stuck with the fire?

Thanks

Richard

BD - do you think for a moment a company like Ideal will honour a 7 year warranty?

Not a chance. they will dump the customer like a turd in a hot dog the moment they can come up with something they don;t like, and lets face it - if you look at any boiler install hard enough you could.

WB are probably the best of the bunch, and give the benefit of the doubt first time out. However, samples will be taken, analysed and logged against the serial number of the boiler for the next time.

You want a boiler that is well made and has a respectable warranty - hence my list. Atmos will be giving 5 years soon enough, but with an upgraded pump (option) they will give 5 years now. I think the rest all do 5 years when an approved installer does the work.

Ideal are just desperate and probably sh1tting their pants hence the 7 year warranties.

Ferroli anyone? :LOL:

Thank you for all the quick replies, I guess the advantages with the combi is the instant hot water and the high efficiency and it will save money in the long term as long as it doesn't go wrong. The back boiler is so reliable as I understand it but the instant hot water is something I am not used to....I guess with a baby the safety of the back boiler is slightly worrying though.

Just one more question if I did keep the back boiler would that mean I would be stuck with the fire?

Thanks

Richard

With that boiler the fire has to stay as it part of the appliance. I am certain you can't get replacements for it now.

If you got rid of the boiler, you could change the fire for something else, but I wouldn't bother. They are inefficient, and messy (babies - gas fire coals = much mess).

BD - do you think for a moment a company like Ideal will honour a 7 year warranty?

Not a chance. they will dump the customer like a turd in a hot dog the moment they can come up with something they don;t like, and lets face it - if you look at any boiler install hard enough you could.

WB are probably the best of the bunch, and give the benefit of the doubt first time out. However, samples will be taken, analysed and logged against the serial number of the boiler for the next time.

You want a boiler that is well made and has a respectable warranty - hence my list. Atmos will be giving 5 years soon enough, but with an upgraded pump (option) they will give 5 years now. I think the rest all do 5 years when an approved installer does the work.

Ideal are just desperate and probably sh1tting their pants hence the 7 year warranties.

Ferroli anyone? :LOL:

i take and agree with every point above pal, was asking about ball and link.co.uk or whoever they are. it strikes me as too good to be true, have never seen a van yet they're on national tv !?! whats the story on them?

Sorry - was reading two screens at once :LOL:

did a few sums with the aid of Mr Ball and they are pure marketing bluster.

I suspect it is all subbied out to lowest bidder - run through a finance company with big mark-ups - plus I think someone else has mentioned the servicing is tied in annually as well - at extra cost. Would also guarantee the given install prices are as basic as basic can be - with whopping mark-up for extra like flue extensions, gas pipe upgrades etc.

Like Homecare contracts, they are not doing for the love, and Mr Balls pension probably took a big hit recently ;). Wonder if his daughter is still married to Norman Cook?

Shame though because the people that end up falling for it all are the ones that can least afford it.

Hopefully the other quoters can provide a tempting enough alternative to these sharks?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back