New Boiler

I

Igorian

I've been considering replacing my boiler for some time now, but was kind of shocked by the installation fees being quoted. I realise that some manipulation of the pipework/flue may be required, but the average quote for installation is around £1500-1700 + VAT.

I know it's difficult to give estimates for this, but does this seem excessive?

My current boiler is Potterton Statesman flowsure and I am considering a similar sized boiler, although not necesarily the same type.

Sponsored Links
Without seeing your installation its difficult to guess but that could well be a reasonable price.

What I can say is there are many Northants firms coming down the M1 to London every Monday to compete with the Polish workers.

My conclusion is that there is not enough work in your area to sustain the worst workers!

Tony

Igorian said:
I've been considering replacing my boiler for some time now, but was kind of shocked by the installation fees being quoted. I realise that some manipulation of the pipework/flue may be required, but the average quote for installation is around £1500-1700 + VAT.

My current boiler is Potterton Statesman flowsure and I am considering a similar sized boiler, although not necesarily the same type.

Why are you replacing it ?

http://www.inspiredheating.co.uk/acatalog/Potterton_Oil_Combi_Boilers.html

£1150.50 ?

1700 + vat -1150.50 = £ 847 for install or did i read it wrong ?

Agile said:
Without seeing your installation its difficult to guess but that could well be a reasonable price.

What I can say is there are many Northants firms coming down the M1 to London every Monday to compete with the Polish workers.

My conclusion is that there is not enough work in your area to sustain the worst workers!

Tony

The latest engineer said that my boiler was knackered. There was a pool of water in the base and he concluded that it was a major leak. The boiler had been continuously cycling. He said it was recirculating gases and that the flue was u/s. He said it would cost around £900 to fix and suggested a new boiler. When he left, I noticed that the external wall plate for the flue was out of position, covering the end of the flue. I moved it back and the cycling appeared to stop. The leak was due to one of the pump valves being a little loose, so I tightened it a little, stopping the leak, and the boiler now maintains pressure. I said I would consider a new boiler and was charged £65 for the call-out, which he said was a standard fee for an hours work.

He told me that the cost of a new boiler would be approx £1500 plus £1500 for installation. Based on this, I am assuming that it's going to take over 20 hours to install a new boiler, plus a few bits, but can't understand why it should take this long. Maybe I am missing something.

The previous engineer removed the divertor valve actuator as it wasn't working. He didn't ever come back with a new one. :cry:

Each time a new engineer arrives, they tell me how the boiler has been badly serviced by the previous guy.

I'm just a little mis-trustful of engineers at the moment.

Sponsored Links
onion_soup said:
Igorian said:

Why are you replacing it ?

http://www.inspiredheating.co.uk/acatalog/Potterton_Oil_Combi_Boilers.html

£1150.50 ?

1700 + vat -1150.50 = £ 847 for install or did i read it wrong ?

I've had 3 quotes, one on site and two via telephone, without them seeing the installation. The quotes for the installation only (not including boiler) is between £1500 and £1700 plus VAT

I would ask at your local Plumb Centre or other local stockist to sell you a good quality condensing Valliant boiler (£800 or so) and to find you a quality fitter that they recommend.

They will find you someone if they want to sell the boiler.

You should also consider a powerflush which will prolong your boiler's life :D

Dan_Robinson said:
If I was right half as much as my wife was wrong I'd be a very happy man

If your wife is never wrong then you cannot ever be right!

Igorian, if the problem has now been cured by the flue being moved and the pump valve tightened why do you still think it is necessary to replace it? Are there other problems?

£1700 + VAT, is a very good price to replace an oil boiler. Is that labour only? There is more than just putting a new boiler in, the system has to be brought up to current Part L regs as well.

Oil boilers are now subject to be replaced with a condensing boiler as well as gas boilers. Although I do not fit oil I do sell them and would expect a new quality boiler to be around the £1500 + VAT mark plus fitting, parts, materials and power flushing afterwards, probably adding £600-£800 + VAT on top of this.

gas4you said:
Igorian, if the problem has now been cured by the flue being moved and the pump valve tightened why do you still think it is necessary to replace it? Are there other problems?

£1700 + VAT, is a very good price to replace an oil boiler. Is that labour only? There is more than just putting a new boiler in, the system has to be brought up to current Part L regs as well.

Oil boilers are now subject to be replaced with a condensing boiler as well as gas boilers. Although I do not fit oil I do sell them and would expect a new quality boiler to be around the £1500 + VAT mark plus fitting, parts, materials and power flushing afterwards, probably adding £600-£800 + VAT on top of this.

No, it's running fine now. My concern was really the fact that the latest guy wanted to charge around £900 to fix it. Also, the divertor seems to fail on a regular basis, although i'm not certain whether this is to be expected for this boiler. I always try and use local labour, but haven't had much luck up so far as they always seem lacking. Maybe I'm expecting too much.

The chap didn't mention a power flush, but I probably missed that bit when I passed out at the replacement cost ( :D ), which didn't include moving the flue to comply with regs.

Yes, he quoted around £1500 for the boiler and then another £1500 to have it fitted + whatever the new flue would cost, which he said wouldn't be cheap, but didn't give a proper estimate for it.

Thanks for everones input, at least i'll know what to expect when the time comes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back