New Build B-Fold doors blue on thermal image - cold bridging?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I am after some advice from professional window/ door installers and builders that are familiar with the thermal properties of bi-fold doors in particular. Having had a new build survey carried out the thermal images of the bi-fold doors are showing blue i.e. they are cold. I have received the usual BS from the developer (MDH) East Sussex.

Any advice very much appreciated

Cheers
Lawrence

s!AjqiaTVbpS7egoYnLti42b96UosGZg

Attachments

• Bi-Fold thermal images.JPG
    Bi-Fold thermal images.JPG
    364.1 KB · Views: 130
Sponsored Links
Could well be the most expensive and best insulated doors ever - but then fitted without this in mind and you have nothing but a bead of silicone and chunk of plaster between the outside air and inside. Or even worse, air that can move; a partial draught.

Furthermore - does the rest of the house have trickle vents?

Do you have your settings right on your FLIR camera? I know you can fiddle with the temp colour range settings so you can make the blue bits a bit more towards orange and of course that would make what's already orange a bit more reddish, I don't think what your seeing is a stone cold frame but just a difference between warm and cool, as I say you can make the cool appear more orange if you want in the settings if you want but it will make what's already orange appear red and hot, also make sure you have the correct surface set

Sponsored Links
What problems are you having the doors?

The thermal properties of the doors or fitting is in question. New build timber frame property with high levels of insulation and a lager temperature drop between surfaces. Potential for condensation and increased heating costs. The glass has better thermal properties than the frame currently.

Could well be the most expensive and best insulated doors ever - but then fitted without this in mind and you have nothing but a bead of silicone and chunk of plaster between the outside air and inside. Or even worse, air that can move; a partial draught.

Furthermore - does the rest of the house have trickle vents?

Yes trickle vent on bifold and other windows. Also ventilation fans running 24/7 in certain rooms. Certainly could be a partial draft, something is causing the frame to surrounding temperature differential. The glass is not coming up as cold. Looking at other windows they certainly appear to perform better in terms of thermal insulation showing constant temperature around the windows, frame and structure.

Do you have your settings right on your FLIR camera? I know you can fiddle with the temp colour range settings so you can make the blue bits a bit more towards orange and of course that would make what's already orange a bit more reddish, I don't think what your seeing is a stone cold frame but just a difference between warm and cool, as I say you can make the cool appear more orange if you want in the settings if you want but it will make what's already orange appear red and hot, also make sure you have the correct surface set

The new home build survey was carried out by a professional third party company. I assume maybe incorrectly that they know how to operate a thermal camera correctly. Other thermal images are not showing such a contrast and I do not see why the surveyor would want to make something worse than it is. My point is there is definitely a temperature differential that in my professional opinion (28 years in construction and engineering) should not be there. The windows should perform better than the survey indicates. Hence the post asking for opinions as to if this is acceptable performance or an issue with the door seals or frame fitment. I more experience with Microsoft Windows that bifold doors and windows :)

Cold bridging, drafts, increased heating costs! I am looking for advice on what the typical thermal performance are of bi-fold doors not to keep explaining what the problem is as I have already mentioned this. My windows are generally showing good on thermal images but bi-fold doors and front door not so good. Sorry if this sounds blunt but I am hoping for advice from professional window fitters FENSA registered etc. Not really here to have to explain and justify my question. Many thanks all for your feedback.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back