New build - CCTV system.

Sorry about that, they do let things run here, or quash at once. Depends on the mood I suppose. The problem is no mod is qualified to make a technical judgment so it goes on.

Right back on track. Cat is a good Idea, you will however need "Baluns" to send the signal with normal cameras. Good old T&E will carry the DC needed for the cameras or you could just use ( not sure what type you want ) 240vac cameras with heated housings, but a bit OTT for a domestic.
Another way and one that is actuallt perfect is to run mains to the internal point and then use local VDC supplies to each camera, it will give perfect voltage and not strain the PSU.

You can put the power up the CaT5 up to 100 mtrs with a decent PSU is fine. You could use longer but it is better practice with 100.

So your doing well everything should be fine.
Call back if you need to know about camera and or DVR choice.

Happy Xmas

Sponsored Links
Thank you Alarm for that informative post. As I said earlier, I know absolutely nothing about CCTV and so I will Google Baluns, VDC, PSU, etc. No cable run is going to be anywhere near 100 metres. It will just be 3 cameras (probably) at 3 strategic points on the house looking on the drive and round the buildings of the farm. One camera will almost certainly be controllable by me. I assume that I can put software on one of my PCs that will enable me to do that.

We are only just going to 2nd fix on the house and so it will be the end of January or middle of February at least before we move in and I shan't be doing anything about cameras etc. until then. But at least it gives me time to investigate what options are open to me and I will certainly take up your generous offer of coming back to you for advice on cameras and a DVR.

Thank you again and a happy and a peaceful Christmas to you. David.

CaT5 will allow PTZ as you want (Pan Tilt and Zoom). It can be done thru the coaxial but far better with a separate command line.
I use industry standard protocols and not sure about 3rd party programs, perhaps others can assist.
Although any DVR you have will be able to ( a decent one) control the cameras with the appropriate connections.

VDC = Volts Direct Current (Think 12 volt battery)
PSU = Power Supply Unit ( Supplies the voltage)
Baluns ( convert the video signal)

That's really helpful. Thank you. Just one question so far. I spend quite a lot of time ona PC in the evenings with my on-line shop/Forum Admin. duties. Can I set up an IP address on the CCTV system and then log in and have it as a tab on my PC so I can keep flicking back to it. Y/N ? I do have a wireless network here.

Sponsored Links
DVR or a PC card ( not sure what your going to get).
Yes, simple to get it running in the background and or have a tab flash up if using for instance motion detect.

As I said before I'm not sure what I'm going to get either but I do enjoy gettings to grips (or trying to ! ) with modern technology. And rural crime is becoming a real problem now. We have always been a soft touch and with scrap metal being the price it is you wouldn't believe what is being stolen from some farms. :rolleyes:

Don't fall into the trap of penny pinching when you do buy.

Get decent kit. You can't totally stop the 'visitors' but no point wasting money on poor quality toot that will neither deter nor identify.

Thanks for that tip but as mentioned previously I am prepared to invest a reasonable sum of money to get what I want. I have read, even on this Forum, that some people expect to put a couple of cameras in but don't want to spend more than a couple of hundred pounds.

That's not how it is here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back