New build - CCTV system.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are in the process of building a new farm house. I will almost certainly install a CCTV system. Have had a quote for doing it now but not 100% sure of what I want the system to do and so, because we are just about to install ceilings, plaster walls etc. I want to install cables to where I will place cameras.

My builder has suggested we get the electrician to install cables and has mentioned CAT5 but I see that RG59 is mentioned. You have probably guessed by now that I am completely new to CCTV.

Could anyone give advice please on what cable I should be installing or is that dependent on what I want the system to do ? I am reasonably PC literate and I have a reasonable budget.

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

Sponsored Links
fit one of each RG59 /CAT 5/ 8 CORE ALARM CABLE. to each point that way its future proof as cameras will go to ip type cameras ( megapixal) but quite expensive at moment. also fit cat 5 cables to tv pointswhere you may need to view) as you can send the dvr output to each tv via video amp.

I assume you have a few hundred to spare if you fit all cables mentioned to all areas.

Future proof and capable of IP and possible PTZ run a Cat5 to each location.
You do not need to fit Cat5 to all tv outputs a diplexer adjacent to the video distribution point will do this through your existing/planned.

I suggest you take security experts advise not a sparks who dabbles.

Thanks guys for your input so far. I am quite happy to send the quote from the professional to anyone who is interested but it is a 3 camera system and it's circa £2.5k I thought that was a bit much for what it was. It was for a DVR and 3 dome cameras and not much else. They might have been IR, would have to look again.

Sponsored Links
a few hundred quid lol box of cat 5 £30 2 rolls of rj 59 £30 a roll of 8 core £14 dont take advise from a muppet who probably buys his cable from cef and talks out of his backside then blames a badly worded manual and assumes that everone is an electrian... oops forgot to say trolls every post for his own ego...

a few hundred quid lol box of cat 5 £30 2 rolls of rj 59 £30 a roll of 8 core £14 dont take advise from a muppet who probably buys his cable from cef and talks out of his backside then blames a badly worded manual and assumes that everone is an electrian... oops forgot to say trolls every post for his own ego...

Your such an anus.
Who in their right mind would run 8 core , cat5 , RG all to the same spot?
If you had said some shotgun and cat 5 then I would have thought you might be on target. But all 3 got to laugh.
Even PTZ can run down the coaxial if needed. And that was not even specified.
As for the cable cost, have you seen the runs, the time taken?
Again your mouth and fingers react faster than your brain.

CEF is for odds and sods if there is nothing about.
As for talking out of their anus, you are the expert here for that.
You only turn up when it suits and even then can only bleat about one item.
You are not a security engineer, by any description. When you know a tenth of what I learnt 25 years ago come back and be helpful. As it stands you know a little about not a lot.
And your cable prices are all over the shop, your not getting the deals you think you are. Try being involved with.................nah you can find that out for yourself.
You also still upset about getting the other items wrong in the other posts???

Scooby, that does sound a tad high. But without the spec it is hard to make a comparison and it also depends on who has quoted.

jack of all master of none, go back to reading and quoting your manuals you would swear the moon was made of cheese if the book said it was, will send you a foot pump for xmas to inflate your ego.. oh and by the way if you had any experience of putting cables in you would know its far easier to pull in a coax and a 8 core ( which can also be used for external detection or for a tamper ) than a shotgun cable.

Lol, says the bloke who can only work on one system.
Each cable has its merit and as for a tamper, do you fit micro switches to domes then?
External detection was not mentioned so keep pulling new rabbits out of the hat to try and look like you knew what you were talking about. And shotgun is far neater for an installation then however you would lash up your bundle.

As before you are not a security engineer, and if I have to refer to a manual for a specific so what. If it is not my kit of choice I may have to once and a while. Your so good at remembering one point, not the hundreds of others.
I dont see you assisting on anything much here, so stick to what you know and let the experts deal with the overall.

Happy Xmas

PS, on most domestics motion detect correctly set up is adequate. You going to fit Redwalls to a 3 camera domestic :D

Funny how your always able to cast dispersions but never seem to assist in anything apart from one little item.

Told anyone to crash a system recently when it was obvious it needed other attention..............?
Oh yeah, i`ll bang on about that for a few months if you like ............Not.
I would rather help than fuc about hurling abuse like your doing, close the door on your way out.

unlike you i dont go on about something i KNOW NOTHING ABOUT but have to stick your oar in its only YOU that looks like a muppet in the end and I can say that all my work has been checked by the SSAIB and been issued with certifcates of merit for the last ten years , by an ex engineer not a man in a suite who has never been an alarm installer YES ive only been installing 24 years, but i know of others who have been installing for longer who dont know there arse from there elbow.

One day NACOSS might let you have a real go at it then.
Certs of merit grow on trees. It amazes me what your allowed to do and it passes an inspection.
You keep arguing and i`ll keep assisting. I see you have helped everyone today have`nt you

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I actually run a web site together with an on-line shop for classic vehicles which also has a Forum and I'm surprised that this spat has been allowed to continue. Are there no Admin. on here ?

And incidentally I am not using a "sparks that dabbles" The firm are wiring up my new house and I asked them to lay some cables for my future CCTV system.

Anyway, I had to make a decision. So we have laid CAT5 to every intended camera point and because I have ben told that I can't put much power up that cable I have also laid a 240v cable to each camera point. Was that so wrong ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back