New Build Ceiling Sloping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve had a new wooden framed building (6m x 4m) built and now I am starting to put items on the wall it’s apparent the ceiling is sloping. Height difference from floor to ceiling across the 4m width of the room is ~5cm. It’s most apparent around a small window and the TV on the wall. Is there an ‘acceptable’ tolerance on this or given it’s a new build should I be within my rights to expect the ceiling to be exactly level?
I guess not a massive issue to fix (hopefully!), but before I give the builders the good news I wanted to garner opinion.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
It’s a garden room and that’s a very useful reply. Thanks very much for posting

Sponsored Links
It’s bizarre. The finish on the rest of the building is to such a high standard as well. I can’t work out if they genuinely didn’t notice the error or hoped I wouldn’t spot it. I can’t unsee it now. I spent ages trying to level the TV... nearly went to buy my spirit level a new bubble :)

So it's a vaulted ceiling? :cautious:

If the sloping ceiling matches the slope of the roof, then you may not have an argument unless you specified otherwise.

I didn’t specify anything but I would assume a ceiling under a flat roof would be level. Yes I know the flat roof has a slight slope to it but surely not the ceiling?

I didn’t specify anything but I would assume a ceiling under a flat roof would be level. Yes I know the flat roof has a slight slope to it but surely not the ceiling?
Why can't the ceiling be sloping? It's just an out building.

I'm not being facetious (for a change), but that's the problem with assumptions.
Consider this argument "well, the roof needs to slope, so does the ceiling. Otherwise there would have been an extra charge for more work if you had said you wanted a flat ceiling."

Was there a contract, a plan or brochure or specification?

I don't think you are being facetious and appreciate the reply
It’s more than just an ‘out building’. It’s a self contained fully functioning garden room with all the bells and whistles. The contract states “internal room height 2.2m”. No mention of having/not having a slope to the ceiling. However, given the finish requested, the standard of all the work and not forgetting the final invoice amount I can’t believe it’s meant to look like it does. I’m struggling to fix anything to either end wall without it looking ‘out of kilter’.

I’ll have a chat with the builder. I guess we could too and thro on here all night. All the opinions/replies on here much appreciated

50mm over 4m ?
seen new build living rooms worse:LOL:.
could be worse, you could be here saying they built the roof totally flat.:LOL:

A flat roof needs a slight fall to avoid ponding, which can happen once initially-straight joists inevitably warp a little and shrink.

If the ceiling is to be level, then a roof fall is usually achieved by fixing tapered firring pieces to the tops of the joists.

In the absence of any plans or specification, it might be difficult to get the builders to modify the ceiling, particularly with it being a garden room. In law, I would suspect that the level of finish required for such a room would not be similar to that expected in a normal house extension.

Try and get them to put firrings on the underside and re-board it, might be more likely than suggesting they rip the roof off

Try and get them to put firrings on the underside and re-board it, might be more likely than suggesting they rip the roof off

Yes that’s my plan tbh. Reboard level and skim and job done. Shouldn’t be a huge fix (he says!)

Yes that’s my plan tbh. Reboard level and skim and job done. Shouldn’t be a huge fix (he says!)
you said your’e already hanging things on the wall. so assuming it’s been skimmed, that means disturbing all the walls as well. a complete reskim really.
good luck with the builder.

firrings isn’t the answer.
a good plasterer won’t be happy with the fact that a drywall screw is going to split the thin end of them in half.
sounds like you just want to bodge it more.
the timbers should be flat with the firrings outside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back