New Build - CSST & Air Valve (Pictures)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Looking for a bit of advice before I go to my builder's plumber (still in warranty)...

I live in a 2019 new-build property. Detached timber-frame two story house. I have gas central heating with the boiler (Vaillant EcoFIT sustain 830) in a cupboard on the first floor. We have dual-zone heating with a pair of motorised valves.

Gas meter fitting at ground level at the front of the property. Gas enters via CSST pipe which goes up the stud wall and into the ceiling void. It pops out in the boiler cupboard and is split between boiler and another, smaller-diameter, CSST pipe going to the gas hob.

The boiler has developed a noisy/humming pump when at full heat (70C). We asked our local plumber to take a look. Of course when they attended, the boiler was quiet and flawless. We think the problem may have been some of our clutter sat on top of the valves; it remains to be seen if this will cure the problem.

However the plumber picked up a couple of faults with our install. He advised I go back to the builder as he states he would fail them on inspections he would do. Specifically:

- The CSST has exposed corrugated ribs by the fittings. I can see from installation instructions the yellow jacket should be closer to the fitting and then yellow self-amalgamating tape used. Is this actually a requirement/reg though? In my case, will it be sufficient for the gas engineer to use the tape or do the joints need remaking off?

- There should be a bleed valve (I assume automatic) at the pipework by the two motorised valves. I can see why, however is this strictly a necessity for regs (or even just obvious good practice). Have I got a leg to stand on in demanding such be installed?

I also have the following follow-on queries:

- Some of the joints are outside the meter box. Are they meant to be inside or is having them where they are acceptable?

- Is the CSST meant to be sleeved as it passes through the studwork & ceiling void?

Pictures attached!

Attachments

• IMG_5540.JPEG
    IMG_5540.JPEG
    229.6 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_5541.JPEG
    IMG_5541.JPEG
    213.4 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_5543.JPEG
    IMG_5543.JPEG
    434.2 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_5544.JPEG
    IMG_5544.JPEG
    333.1 KB · Views: 137
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back