Manual Bypass Valve on CH in new build house?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I moved in to a new build house last month and have had numerous problems with the heating. I've not got much faith in the design or installation of the system.

Since we started using the heating last week we've had problems with some of the radiators not getting even lukewarm, others have been OK. All bleed water and no air.

The boiler is a Greenstar 18i system with a Stelflow unvented cylinder. The heating is split into two zones controlled independently with motorised valves for each, the cylinder is also controlled by a motorised valve.

I've been trying to figure out the layout of the pipes in the airing cupboard, which look like this:

______
| | | | |

From left to right, upstairs heating, HW, downstairs heating. Pipe 5 must be a bypass because the HW return is teed into it, so pipe 4 must be the flow from the boiler.

Pipe 5 only has an ordinary handwheel valve on it - there is no automatic bypass valve fitted which puzzles me. It was fully open, and closing it gradually has put heat into the cold radiators. There's still water circulating through it though because the pipe is still hot.

My question is should a new build property be fitted with a proper automatic valve to comply with the building regs? Secondly, am I losing much efficiency by not having one?

I've found a few posts on here suggesting that a manual valve is a more reliable solution.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Should be an auto bypass, correctly set will give full pump head to the radiators when there on, when the zone valve closes then the autobypass can open to give a circulation, without stealing flow rate from the radiators when there on.

Its always a good idea to stick a manual bypass on the hw circ not an automatic one as with modulating pumps fitted on modern boilers and systems they can cause vibration noise in the unvented cylinders.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back