New build - does someone know what has caused this brick discolouration?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a new build and have noticed the following on one side of the house. I'm not sure what this is, what has caused it and what I can do to remedy it. I want to get the builder to sort it bhut don't want to be fobbed off. Thanks

Attachments

• PXL_20210524_195950678.jpg
    PXL_20210524_195950678.jpg
    473.4 KB · Views: 140
Sponsored Links
Hi,

The white powderiness is called efflorescence and can be quite normal.

However, in your case, it looks to be caused by leaks from the guttering. Have a look outside next time it rains heavily, and see if water is coming down the wall in the area between the bands of efflorescence.

If it is, get the gutter sorted!
The efflorescence can then be cleaned off and will eventually fade away!

Im sure others will be along soon with some better suggestions! :)

I had this on a newly built garden wall. Moisture leaving the bricks bringing salts to the surface.

use a dry stiff brush to clean off. Don’t get it wet or you’ll compound the problem. Agree it looks gutter related.

If not ongoing, the wall got soaked at some time during the build and that's the result. Poor quality management/work, and I doubt you will every get rid of the stains or if they will ever disappear of their own accord during your lifetime.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the responses - the guttering is not overflowing even in the heaviest rain so I think this happened during the build as mentioned. Will see what the buildr says but their website actually says this isn't covered

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back