Advise on new build damaged brick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've exchanged on a new build and waiting for it to be finished next year to move in. I had a drive past at weekend but I've seen a damaged brick on the corner of a decrotive strip just adjacent to the front door at waist height. I've not spoken to the builder yet as I wanted a bit of advise first. It's a large national builder.

Is it easy enough for to replace that brick and will it be found by their guys when checking the build or should I bring it up now? Is this sort of damage acceptable on a new build?
IMG_20201116_105708.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
If they replace the chipped one, ask them to replace the one above it too, and this time do it right.

I am no expert (see my other posts) but it's obviously not great, have you anyone who can look around the property to check what else they have done?

Regular inspections by qualified individual perhaps may be possible I don't know.

What does the whole wall look like?

I am no expert (see my other posts) but it's obviously not great, have you anyone who can look around the property to check what else they have done?

Regular inspections by qualified individual perhaps may be possible I don't know.

What does the whole wall look like?
Due to covid I'm not allowed on site (or any 3rd party contractors/surveyors etc) until its signed off by the NHBC and then I'm allowed in to do my snagging list.

If they replace the chipped one, ask them to replace the one above it too, and this time do it right.
It's hard to tell from the photo but the decrotive strip of 2 courses protrudes about 10mm away from the rest of the wall so it makes it look worse in the photo.

Due to covid I'm not allowed on site (or any 3rd party contractors/surveyors etc) until its signed off by the NHBC and then I'm allowed in to do my snagging list.

I would send the builder the pic, ask them if anyone in the firm is inspecting the works.

Also, ask them what they do to ensure works up to standard?

Keep on driving by and taking pics, if something seems wrong you can show an inspector later on.

In my experience the NHBC is a scheme run by builders with the large building company directors on the board. Whilst big problems are generally put right they don't give a stuff about the small things, like bricks not laid correctly, as long as the house wont fall down. If its a national builder they could well be signing off their own inspections.

Flag the problem now, because the builder will still have access to the bricks, and the same colour of mortar??

As for NHBC not worth the paper it is duplicated on??

Ken.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back