Remedial work to damaged water main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this is a building question or a plumbing one, so apologies is this is the wrong place.

I've damaged my mains water pipe (15mm copper) with an excavator whilst trenching for a new fowl sewer. Through sheer luck only, I've not ruptured the pipe.

I had planned to replace it with 25mm mdpe right back to the meter anyway, but I can't really do that right now; so my short term plan is to replace this section with mdpe into the property where I want a new stopcock. When I eventually get to replacing the whole length, I can hopefully join it to this part.

My question is, am I ok to bring the pipe in under the foundations? They're about 450mm deep (3 courses of bricks and 200mm of concrete) and it would be at the corner of the building.

I plan to insulate the pipe and duct it through 110mm drain pipe, but is there anything else I should consider?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• PXL_20230607_173619012.jpg
    PXL_20230607_173619012.jpg
    622 KB · Views: 58
Sponsored Links
Not sure if this is a building question or a plumbing one, so apologies is this is the wrong place.

I've damaged my mains water pipe (15mm copper) with an excavator whilst trenching for a new fowl sewer. Through sheer luck only, I've not ruptured the pipe.

I had planned to replace it with 25mm mdpe right back to the meter anyway, but I can't really do that right now; so my short term plan is to replace this section with mdpe into the property where I want a new stopcock. When I eventually get to replacing the whole length, I can hopefully join it to this part.

My question is, am I ok to bring the pipe in under the foundations? They're about 450mm deep (3 courses of bricks and 200mm of concrete) and it would be at the corner of the building.

I plan to insulate the pipe and duct it through 110mm drain pipe, but is there anything else I should consider?

Thanks in advance
Whatever you do, try and run some water off through an outside tap, before all the lime scale reaches the showers or cisterns.
It'll be full with it, after that reshaping.

Thanks in advance
Just sleeve it with split gutter down pipe, taped off.

Sponsored Links
Yes it can go under the foundations.
You really want your new pipe 750mm deep.
Always best to avoid an underground joint- look at being able to pull a new full length through when you do the whole thing (or if you have the space just chuck a 2nd full length piece of mdpe in)

Whatever you do, try and run some water off through an outside tap, before all the lime scale reaches the showers or cisterns.
It'll be full with it, after that reshaping.
Yeah, I did run the taps for a bit and the water was a bit dirty, I thought I'd maybe burst the pipe somewhere, but after monitoring the meter, there was no change so I figured I'd just dislodged 60 years of build-up. I live in Lincoln though so I'm used to limescale!

Look at the Insuduct, may save you a lot of hassle.
Tbh I had seen this, but figured since Id already excavated down, it wouldn't be much more work to just tunnel under the foundations, but the more I think about it the more work it seems - it's very rocky at this depth.

I might instead bring it up and go through the brickwork, above the concrete. It'll still be underground but only 150mm or so. I've ordered some Armaflex insulation (as recommended on other threads here). My concern now is that it's a driveway, so will need to cap that short run with concrete before it disappears back to its original depth.

Thanks in advance
We often come across water mains. In particular 1/2" soft copper like yours. It's not unusual for us to lug a 25m roll of 20mm MDPE blue water pipe on site, cut the main outside of the new extension footprint, then loop it away and around the danger zone and back onto the dwelling. Saves faffing about.
We ALWAYS make sure the road stop cock in in working order, before we dig.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back