New build house floor load.

What size/shape is the tank, will it go along a wall? 450kg is really only like 4 fat blokes standing in a row. Your floor won't collapse.
It's 150cm L 50cm deep, and 50cm high. It's about 375 litres full. But it will realy be 7/8 full and with gravel / Stand etc. And additional bit at the side but on the platform to spread out weight. In total it's just below 450Kg

Sponsored Links
PS, where a bath is installed, the joists are doubled.
That was the bit i was sort of asking. There's no load bearing wall underneath the bathroom/bedroom wall and newbuilds are so small.
Mine's as small as you can get.
I didn't know if the joists from the bathroom would just run through the bedroom as well. Because they's be either running upto the stairs as they are directly in line with the bathtub length. Or the change from doubled to normal means they're not resting on anything with no wall inbetween/below.

Hi this is a basic floor plan of upstairs. So no exact scale. But the Tank will be about the size of the bath, in Bedroom 2, up against the back wall.
The platform will probs come forward to almost the door but also with the section 2' x 2' not there.

Does anyone think the the weight will distribute through the most of the platform as it won't be in the middle of it, since it's up against the back exterior wall?

Hope this helps.

Edit. Put this up to ask. Does anyone think the the bathroom joists go straight throuh the bedroom 2 since there's no load bearing wall downstairs.

Attachments

• Screenshot (314).jpg
    Screenshot (314).jpg
    82 KB · Views: 41
Edit. Put this up to ask. Does anyone think the the bathroom joists go straight throuh the bedroom 2 since there's no load bearing wall downstairs.
As it's a new build, there are likely to be other houses on site at various stages of construction, have a look around.

You show a floorplan of a Gleeson - 'Cork'
There may not be a load bearing wall downstairs, but there does appear to be a partition - and that would definitely help reduce deflection...

Screenshot_20230603-143306_Chrome.jpg

If the site is completed, just find another Gleeson development, there are plenty about - or talk to them directly.

But, as has been said before, for ultimate peace of mind, contact a structural engineer.

Dimensions and other info in the link:

Sponsored Links
As it's a new build, there are likely to be other houses on site at various stages of construction, have a look around.

You show a floorplan of a Gleeson - 'Cork'
There may not be a load bearing wall downstairs, but there does appear to be a partition - and that would definitely help reduce deflection...

If the site is completed, just find another Gleeson development, there are plenty about - or talk to them directly.

But, as has been said before, for ultimate peace of mind, contact a structural engineer.

Dimensions and other info in the link:
Thanks, I've rang them and the sales person said they will have a word with the foreman.
I didn't use the bottom floor as these are brand new. (You already knew).
And the downstairs is the otherway the kitchen is at the front, so the partition is just behind the doorway of bedroom 2 after the platform I'm making ends.

I am trying to contact both housing companies as well as structural engineers, anyone offical but it's slow getting a response. So i was on here while waiting for responses.
Thanks.

It's 150cm L 50cm deep, and 50cm high. It's about 375 litres full. But it will realy be 7/8 full and with gravel / Stand etc. And additional bit at the side but on the platform to spread out weight. In total it's just below 450Kg
What feet does it have? What's the measurement on the feet. Eg, if the feet are 5cm x 5cm and there are 4, the 450kgs is bearing down 4.5kg/sq cm. If you put a 10cm x10cm x 3cm timber pad under each it will probably (can't be arsed with the sums) drop to 1kg/sq cm.

Surely if the OP's house was built in 2006 then the estate would have been completed by now?

The OP's joists, I-joist no doubt, will span from PW to PW.

I'm not an engineer, so correct me if I'm wrong, but if a length of skirting and dry lining were removed and a timber ledger fixed to the wall to pick up the back of the tank it would transfer half the load to the wall, leaving just two fat men to worry about, spread over 3 or 4 joists (I'm assuming it's going perpendicular to the joists). The fact that it's pretty much as far from mid span as you can get will also help.

Surely if the OP's house was built in 2006 then the estate would have been completed by now?
Yes, fair enough.
I missed the 2006 build date - I was going off of the provided floorplan, which is still current, and still being built at various sites across the country.
Nothing wrong with popping along for a nosey! :)

Yes, fair enough.
I missed the 2006 build date - I was going off of the provided floorplan, which is still current, and still being built at various sites across the country.
Nothing wrong with popping along for a nosey! :)
Not a prob, I'm very grateful for everyone's help.

I was at BnQ looking at boards and found this and wondered does this, in any way equate to the floor strength. Added Pic.
Expertes on here will probs be laughing now.

Basically this palete was about 1m10cm by 1m40cm. the 57ish bags were 25KG each so it was about 1425KG and the thin planks aren't even bending at the longer outer gaps.

It made me remember that I've read about 3 different posts from 3 different people who said they've had 1 metric ton of plaster board on a palete on the 2nd floor bedroom.

It's basically dust so would natrually spread, but it's 1.4 Ton over 1.5m2.

When I saw it, it was like The Matrix, cos it made me believe. 450KG should be no probs.

Does anyone think I could get planks like those on the top, not the ones through the middle, instead of the 18mm layer of OSB and then layer the 11mm OSB on top.

Attachments

• IMG20230603162702.jpg
    IMG20230603162702.jpg
    619.1 KB · Views: 34
They're just standard pallets, availble for free from many places for free. Not sure they look very smart though, they may help a little bit, it depends how the bottom of your tank base already disperses the load onto your floor but if you did do something like that you may aswell make one up with some timber of the right size and make it look pretty.

They're just standard pallets, availble for free from many places for free. Not sure they look very smart though, they may help a little bit, it depends how the bottom of your tank base already disperses the load onto your floor but if you did do something like that you may aswell make one up with some timber of the right size and make it look pretty.
LOL. I didn't quite mean, just shove it on some paletes. I meant like are paletes special, can they take more weight than a floor.
Cos that palete was also stacked with another palete full on top, you can see from the one behind. So a crazy amount of weight.

And if I just got some planks about 1 cm thick, space those under the feet of the tank stand and then on the sheet of 11mm OSB.
To spread the weight out like a very thin palete on the floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back