New Build No Door Bell Wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have just moved into a new build, but there appears to be no door bell and no wiring at all for it. The fuse box is totally full.
Any ideas on how I can get one wired in? Was thinking of going for a Ring doorbell in the future, so would ideally need a 12 volt feed.

Screen_Shot_2018-07-26_at_23.47.47.png

The fuse box is located in the right hand cupboard. To the right of the front door is a light switch for the hall light and the outside one. Not sure if these could be useful?

Screen_Shot_2018-07-27_at_00.01.27.png

Sponsored Links
Ditto the above, you can get 2 packs where one sounder plugs into a socket and the other has batteries and can be taken anywhere within a range.
Works well in my 1855 terrace house with damn thick walls too.

A light switch quite possibly won't have a neutral available

One of the switches by the front door switches the outside light, there's a 99.99% chance it does have a neutral there to use.

Henry, if you're happy to have a 12v transformer screwed to the wall next to the light switch, and drill through to outside, then you're sorted for a Ring doorbell.

Sponsored Links
Not a rose, but many many times there are two cables, permanent supply and cable from the switch. I'd go for 70% the loop is in the switch. I'm holding my breath for the feedback, how exciting can life be???:D

Out of interest what is MVHR + TV on one of the MCBs? Why has it got it's own circuit?

MVHR is a Mechanical Ventilation with Heat Recovery unit. They often do have their own circuit, and as they are located in the loft, it would appear that someone has probably used it for either a TV in a bedroom below, or maybe a loft mounted TV signal amplifier.

I do have the wiring but still use battery operated type, main reason is I can buy three cheap Lidi battery types and have one in living room, one upstairs and one in kitchen all from same door push with ease.

Although the wired one did allow two sounders and two door bell pushes with different sound for front and back door it needs a lot of wiring.

Again although you can get transformers which fit inside the consumer unit, they have to be same make as consumer unit to maintain the type testing and have to be wired with 230 volt cable. Also they are normally AC only and limited voltages, so still likely will need an external transformer to match the door bell.

At mothers house it is hard wired to mains supply, 12 volt DC to the bell push/speaker/microphone and 13A wallmart to cordless telephone type charger which the cordless bell sits in, it can be extended to auto release the door at push of a button, however with all that technology my wife still opens window on stairs and shouts "I'll be down in a minute" so what was the point in fitting it?

We had a number of the plug into handy socket type, but one they take up a socket, two only one per door push, and three they never seemed to last long.

The three cheap Lidi door bells, clearly came with three door pushes, but set to all work off one, now around 8 years old and on second door push, still one spare.

The new breed door bell with answering system is a lot smaller and works with mobile phone not cordless, we tried getting ours to ring the cordless phone but it failed and even if you do get it to work, even with 4 cordless phones in the house (door bell classed as fifth) it will only work with one.

I have wondered if the new type which connect to mobile phones can connect to more than one?

With so many options I can see why not pre-wired, same with land line phones, years ago we hard wired land line phones, and fax machine, today fax is gone (it was 19th century) and we use cordless phones, I still have hard wired LAN but just two phones, set of cordless and emergency one which does not need mains power plugged in.

Brilliant deduction, Einstein. :rolleyes:
But what is underneath? Maybe it’s a junction for some outside circuit, maybe there is something, such as a voltage conversion device.

What's the room NEXT to the front door?

Maybe you can hide some wiring etc in there.

Thanks everyone for your help on this. I assumed a new house would come with a doorbell, or at least the wiring! Can't believe I have neither!

Absolute last resort, IMO.

What's this?

View attachment 145514

That is an access hole BT I presume made to fish through their copper wire. It literally has the outside phoneline coming through. Would rather not tamper with it has had to wait so long for the line.

MVHR is a Mechanical Ventilation with Heat Recovery unit. They often do have their own circuit, and as they are located in the loft, it would appear that someone has probably used it for either a TV in a bedroom below, or maybe a loft mounted TV signal amplifier.

This is a brand new house, so I was not responsible for wiring. Up in loft, there is a MVHR which connects to double power socket. There is also a TV amplifier box which goes to a loft areal. Hope that clarifies things.

What's the room NEXT to the front door?

Maybe you can hide some wiring etc in there.

The room next door to the right is the bathroom. The one to the left is the kitchen which is really small.

A couple of people asked what the inside of the light switch looked like. Have just unscrewed and this is what it looks like....

Photo_28-07-2018_10_21_17_-_Copy.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back