New Build No Door Bell Wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
I assumed a new house would come with a doorbell, or at least the wiring!
Ha!

Won't be long before someone has an exchange like this with the builder of a new house:

"Oh - you wanted glass in the windows? You should have said. I'm afraid that's extra"

Sponsored Links
Yes photo of the back of the switch, showing what wires go to which terminal(s), would be most helpful..
Here we go...
Photo_28-07-2018_12_52_24_-_Copy.jpg

Ha!

Won't be long before someone has an exchange like this with the builder of a new house:

"Oh - you wanted glass in the windows? You should have said. I'm afraid that's extra"

I can see that time coming! You don't get very much for your money these days!

Ok. It looks like you have what you want at that switch. The blues in the N LOOP terminal are the neutrals. It looks to me that the corresponding permanent live are in the two L1 terminals.
Normally they would be in the ‘COM’ terminals, but some people do things in the strangest of ways.

So, you have a power connection at that switch. As above, you’ll have to decide if you want a transformer/power supply half way up your wall.

Normally they [ permanent Lives ] would be in the ‘COM’ terminals, but some people do things in the strangest of ways.

When a two way switch used as a one way then putting Permanent Live into L1 ( or L2 ) has the advantage that the un-used L terminal is not Live when the switch is OFF

if you want a transformer/power supply

I fully realise/understand why you have written it that way(because of the annoying one), but the Ring doorbell thingy does actually want 12v AC, so you're good-to-go with just 'transformer'.

Henry. BS7671 (the Wiring Regulations) specifically allows for BS1363 sockets to be connected to lighting circuits.

Winston thinks this is wrong but the limits of his efforts to change the regulations is to keep bleating on about it on this “DIY” forum.

Ho hum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back