NEW BUILD. PROVISION FOR PHONE LINE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ,

I am currently doing a new build.
I have digger in laying electric wiring and water pipes.

I would also like to put the telephone cable in now. Want to run cable underground from the road to my house in this trench also.
When the garden is dug up.

I contacted BT and they say its 200 quid survey fee, plus £0.90 per metre of cabling.
Which I think is a total Rip off.

I think I will lay this cabling myself without getting BT man out as it’s a expense I haven’t budgeted for.

But I never caught the name of the cabling.
Can any one advise me on the type of cabling that I require.
Does it need to be in duct etc?
Has anyone any additional advice.

Thanks

Paddy

Sponsored Links
Unless you want your master socket ( or other form of Network Termination point ) on the road side you really have to comply with what OpenReach ( acting for BT ) require.

That said if you put in a duct that will take a 20mm diameter cable then maybe talking to OpenReach nicely they will supply their cable and you ( or you and them together ) can pull that cable through the duct. No sharp bends and put the draw cord in as you lay the duct and solvent weld the joints ( don't allow excess solvent to glue the draw cord and blow the solvent fumes out of the duct when laid )

But you have to liase with them as to where they will need "their" end of the duct.

Are all the properties around you fed by the U,G network or are they off poles,if they are off poles and the d.p is outside your property you could lay armoured cable to the d.p and leave a coil for openreach to connect,no need for duct with armoured cable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back