New Build Snagging, Non-working telephones

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I made a post elsewhere on this forum and it does seem I have quite a lot of snagging issues.

My main telephone socket, in the under-stairs cupboard works well, but all of the internal ones around the house are dead. If I get a phone call, I have to go and sit in the cupboard under the stairs.

I have checked all of the sockets, and they all have wires in them. I took the BT master socket off and discovered a lose un-connected wire which I am assuming needs a plug pitting onto it so it can plug into the inside of the bottom part of the master socket.

Would I be right in what I am saying? Just makes it easier for me to tell the builders exactly what needs to be done.

Photo_21-07-2018_16_02_45_-_Copy.jpg

Photo_21-07-2018_15_58_39_-_Copy.jpg

Sponsored Links
BT engineers do not connect the internal wiring to the master socket usually. Ask your builder to send the spark that wired the house to connect the wiring next time they are on site

Or lift the plastic shutter insert the wires into 2 and 5 and close the shutter ( crimping them in place ) put the front on , now test the extensions

talksr, good evening.

Looks as if you could start a book on the defects you are encountering??

I must admit I have limited / no understanding of the wiring system, But??

The last post by sparkymarka could well assist ?

First port of call for me would be the Builder. kick up a load of grief at them, telling them your "Home Office" cannot function because the internal system is non-functional, this Snag is costing you £xxx / day in lost and missing data??

Ken

Sponsored Links
Add to the list of issues...

"moronic decorators who get paint all over the edges of accessories, rather than slacken the screws off."

Thanks everyone, another item for the list. This has become a bit of a headache. I would attempt to join those wires myself, but if I bugger it up, I will get the blame and they will prob say they don't support it now as I have tampered.

Where is the lower half of the NTE faceplate? That was/is where the house internal wiring is connected to.

lower half of the NTE faceplate? That was/is where the house internal wiring is connected to.

Not on these new fangled NTE5C faceplates. See from 3:05 to 3:10...

Where you connect your internal extensions to is here...

NTE5Cfrontremovedextensions.jpg

Last edited:
@talksr

It's simple enough to do yourself, and even if it doesn't work, you can just lift up the blue bit(transparent on your later version) and take the wires out again.

1. Screw the faceplate back onto the wall how it was, but have the unstripped cable poking out of the 'letterbox' hole at the bottom.
  2. Strip the cable and put the wires in like this... (curl up unused wires like they have done for the other cable, DON'T cut them short)
images

3. Then press it down firmly.
4. Click on the lower half of the faceplate (which is missing from your photos). If you don't, none of this will work.
5. Test other extensions in the house.

Last edited:
@talksr

It's simple enough to do yourself, and even if it doesn't work, you can just lift up the blue bit(transparent on your later version) and take the wires out again.

1. Screw the faceplate back onto the wall how it was, but have the unstripped cable poking out of the 'letterbox' hole at the bottom.
  2. Strip the cable and put the wires in like this... (curl up unused wires like they have done for the other cable, DON'T cut them short)
images

3. Then press it down firmly.
4. Click on the lower half of the faceplate (which is missing from you photos). If you don't, none of this will work.
5. Test other extensions in the house.

Thank you. That was really helpful. Just given it a go and managed to get some lines working. Almost all of the faceplate had the backs hanging out as below so I have had to unscrew and re push them on.
I have the one I wanted working, but some are still not working, I will leave that for them to sort when they do the snagging. Thanks again.

This was the finished view once I had connected the other wire in:
Photo_23-07-2018_17_15_09_-_Copy.jpg

And this is what the back of the faceplates look like....
Photo_23-07-2018_17_22_59_-_Copy.jpg

They are good branded face plates, so surprised they are like this.

That threw me for a minute! :eek: I thought you had jammed an RJ45 lead into the telephone socket and broken it!!

I take it they are a Cat5e and telephone euro module together. And, yes, the telephone one is knackered. Sometimes they'll bend back down and click into place, but if that's how you found it and definitely didn't do it yourself (i.e. bashed a lead when moving furniture maybe) then get it replaced.

That threw me for a minute! :eek: I thought you had jammed an RJ45 lead into the telephone socket and broken it!!

I take it they are a Cat5e and telephone euro module together. And, yes, the telephone one is knackered. Sometimes they'll bend back down and click into place, but if that's how you found it and definitely didn't do it yourself (i.e. bashed a lead when moving furniture maybe) then get it replaced.

Hell no! I am not that much of a rookie! Yeah, looks to be 5e, but can't actually tell as cable is quite short in the back box so I can't make out any writing. Glad they have done something at least!

I managed to bend it back, but they are all like this other than the master socket. They are all Hager so a good make imo, they shouldn't be doing that so early on, but will add it to the list of issues to resolve. No, it was not me, they are literally all like it, and today was the first time I tried the bedroom socket as no need for a wired phone in there.

I have similar issues with the TV media plate. It keeps popping out of the faceplate. I think they have left just slightly too much surplus cable so the pressure is pushing it out. Whilst I put that bent telephone socket back in, I again unscrewed the media plate and re-seated the modules but as I tightened the faceplate, it again popped off.

It seems they must need to run on a multiplexer as the plate has dual ant and dual coax for sky/freesat. Again, Hager branded, so assuming a multiplexer will be reqd in the loft to send the right signals from dish to these plates.

Have had same issues with my new build. Waiting for snagging team to come and rectify this.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back