telephone master socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of wiring a flat. Unfortunately I have just discovered the heavy handed builders have ripped out all the telephone points and cabling back to the point of entry into the premises.
Therefore I suspect the master socket has been toseed into a rubble bag. This causes me problems as I am supposed to be adding telephone points to each room.
Is it possible for me to fit a master socket or is it a definete no-no. If not then what can I do to sort all this out.
Any help would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
The master socket has 2 sides to it. One side belongs to you the other to BT (or your supplier).

If this is missing then you will have to get BT to install a new one, spin them a line that you brought the place believing that the service was there but you have discovered the previous owner has removed it, they'll probably do it for nothing, if not shop around the providers

So I can buy one of these master sockets and supposedly if the existing was damaged i could change it?
How difficult a job is it to change one of these master sockets and what tools do i need.
Also am i better of using tiny cable clips or the metal staple type fixings I have seen?
I know this is a dumb ass question but can i have a telephone and broadband socket and if so do i need to run any particular cable between each point?

Sponsored Links
You can buy master sockets legitimately but they won't have the BT logo on and someone from BT may make a fuss about this in future (depending on how much of a jobsworth they are). Sometimes you may be able to find used ones with the BT logo on on sites like EBAY.

The type of socket you want is called a NTE5. It has two big screw terminals on the back for the network side wiring and then a section at the bottom with krone terminals for your extention wiring. If you are having trouble finding a local supplier you can order them from CPC, farnell, RS or clairity.

Messing with the wiring before the master socket is a bit like cutting service fuse seals, you aren't meant to do it but lots of people do so anyway and generally the worst BT tend to do is charge you for putting stuff right.

An incoming phone line is made up of two wires, it doesn't generally matter too much which way arround they go. If there are more than two wires then you will have to work out which pair are your phone line by trial and error. I would put the master socket where the cable enters the property to avoid having to join wiring on the BT side.

As for broadband there are a few ways to do it but they way I would reccomend if installing from scratch is to fit a filter plate (which replaces the bottom part of the NTE5) with both filtered and unfiltered terminals on the back (e.g. http://www.clarity.it/xcart/product.php?productid=16134&cat=262&page=1 ) . From the filtered terminals you wire to your phone points as normal, from the unfiltered termins you wire to the middle pins of a RJ11 socket where you want to place your broadband modem/router.

As for tools you will need all the obvious tools for actually fitting something to the wall, a screwdriver and wire stripping tools to connect the incoming line to the big screw terminals and a krone punchdown tool to connect the extention wiring to the terminals on the bottom part. Krone punchdown tools come in a variety of qualities from cheap plastic ones that can basically be considered disposable to the genuine krone ones that those installing phone kit every day use. See http://www.clarity.it/xcart/home.php?cat=257 for a selection of qualities.

sockets dont have BT on them now as they are a service provider , new sockets have OPENREACH on them as they are the line maintainers for all service providers.

As far as clipping cable goes, staple guns are good if you want to put one stright through the cable and cut a couple of connectors whereas cleats are just the job if you want to crush the cable with a 1lb hammer (also good for getting a couple of nice black fingernails too).

Seriously though, ensure you have the right cleats/staples for the job otherwise the cables will go baggy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back